Tie downs and working loads

GaryAK

Seaman
This has bugged me for awhile. My boat with outboard and fuel weighs about 1600 lbs. The bow is snugged up by the winch and has a safety chain. Across the stern I have 2, 2 inch "gunwale" tie downs. One is about 6" in front of the transom. The 2nd is 2 ft in front of the first. The webbing is rated at 1200 lbs capacity but they only have a working load of 400 lbs. each. I would have gone with the transom to trailer type but due to some less than optimal transducer placement, etc., I went with the method described. Am I ok/safe with this kind of set up. I'm not sure how to determine whether I am or not. Thanks for any help!:confused:

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tie downs and working loads

Gary, that is fine. In fact, more than a lot of folks would do. Most use one strap across the beam of the boat, or one strap to each side via a mooring cleat or transom eyelet. Again, your setup seems fine for that small amount of weight. Cheers!

GaryAK

Seaman

Gary, that is fine. In fact, more than a lot of folks would do. Most use one strap across the beam of the boat, or one strap to each side via a mooring cleat or transom eyelet. Again, your setup seems fine for that small amount of weight. Cheers!

Thank you so much, Silly Seville! This is a actually a 1st project that hasn't even left the driveway...hoping for mid week launch. I'm one of those guys that worries about unintended consequences especially when I'm so uninformed on the topic in general. Both my straps currently run across the beam. I do have heavily backed cleats on both sides back there so I may convert one of straps to "trailer to individual cleat" to lessen the chance of side sliding. If I get out and come back in one piece I'll try to post a picture. Thanks again for your help!

Silly Seville

You're welcome!

You have the right attitude about being safety conscience, and for that I applaud you! I'm sure you will do just fine on your maiden voyage. If you are able, take a trusted companion with experience along; and remember that even if you do encounter trouble along the way, being prepared helps to mitigate the risk of damage. Ask as many questions as you can from these fine folks. Best crew you will find anywhere!

Silly Seville

BTW Gary, if you put your general location and make/model/powertrain info into your profile or signature line, you will receive faster responses in greater numbers as folks here have a tendency to surf threads that appeal directly to them. You may also find that you have an iboats member living right in your neighborhood or on your boating waters that can join you in the hobby.

Good luck!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

While your concerns for safety are good, consider this.
The straps hold the boat to the trailer.
The trailer weighs much much less than the boat.
Instead of think that the strap holds the boat down, think that the strap hold the trailer up to the boat.
Now, are your straps strong enough to hold the trailer to the boat? Yes they are.

Maclin

Admiral

Well said Roscoe, this is often misunderstood.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

one strap is enough. And remember, "working strength" is not relevant in relation to weight of boat b/c you aren't lifting anything.

I once had the bow eye pull out of the boat, thus disconnecting the winch cable AND the safety chain. Shows the danger in putting both connections in one place. The boat (17' fiberglass w/ 70 hp OB and gas and gear) slid back about a foot and the strap held it on (roller trailer). It did not need to catch on a cleat or anything.

Maybe I was doing it right; maybe I was lucky.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Gary, here's another that has to agree that with what you have and the way you're doing it everthing should be hunky dory! Quit worriing and go have fun.

GaryAK

Seaman

My trailer is a heavy galvanized unit...It may out weight the boat.

GaryAK

Seaman

one strap is enough. And remember, "working strength" is not relevant in relation to weight of boat b/c you aren't lifting anything.

I once had the bow eye pull out of the boat, thus disconnecting the winch cable AND the safety chain. Shows the danger in putting both connections in one place. The boat (17' fiberglass w/ 70 hp OB and gas and gear) slid back about a foot and the strap held it on (roller trailer). It did not need to catch on a cleat or anything.

Maybe I was doing it right; maybe I was lucky.

That was interesting...My boat has 2 bow eyes so I went out and changed it so the winch goes to one and the safety chain to the other.

GaryAK

Seaman

Yikes! I guess the glide on slicks I made for the bunks work a little too well. Even under the pressure of the 2 straps, the stern of the boat slides back and forth way too much and too easily. If the condition would have presented itself earlier I would have turned around and come home. I did launch the boat and was pleased with the performance. These straps don't lend themselves to modification so I will have to come up with something different. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

nlain

Commander

Nice looking boat, you did a good job on it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Side to side straps hold the boat to the trailer (or the trailer to the boat if you prefer) however they do nothing for fore-aft movement. Yes, the boat should be pulled up snug against the bow stop but nothing beats a pair of stern tie downs to prevent "any" movement of the boat How much protection one needs is a personal thing so use of either or both methods is certainly much better than relying on a piece of clothesline rope for a winch strap and no safety chain (or a bungee cord for a safety chain).

GaryAK

Seaman

Side to side straps hold the boat to the trailer (or the trailer to the boat if you prefer) however they do nothing for fore-aft movement. Yes, the boat should be pulled up snug against the bow stop but nothing beats a pair of stern tie downs to prevent "any" movement of the boat How much protection one needs is a personal thing so use of either or both methods is certainly much better than relying on a piece of clothesline rope for a winch strap and no safety chain (or a bungee cord for a safety chain).

Well, leave it to me to poorly express my problem. I said "back and forth"...I should have said "side to side". Fore and aft I'm good with a heavy winch strap and a safety chain. Going around corners or even over some speed bumps in a parking lot caused serious side to side load shifting. So, today I installed a 3/8 u bolt/bow eye dead center under the outboard bracket. I'll run tie downs to it from both sides of the trailer frame. It should keep things in place. I will continue to use the cross beam tie downs. Thanks for helping me out on this!

krakatoa

Actually I dont trust stern ties, I preffer side to side straps like this ones

straps.jpg

Its will hold the boat to your trailer like just one piece.