Tie Down SS Disc Brakes, wore out after 400 mi

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tie Down SS Disc Brakes, wore out after 400 mi

1) I c clamped a straight edge to the leafspring so it was touching the rotor, spinning the rotors to the point at which it was not touching the straight edge to check if the rotor are warped and yes the are not perfectly straight, 1 is off by .011 and the other is off by .021.... hopefully somone knows what I am talking about. Is the a minimum reccommended measurment for this, These were not perfect when i put them on new, I assumed the were just "what I get" when you purchase the cheapest ss discs on the market and assummed they were within minimum requirements..
Do I need to replace them?:confused:
That is actually pretty good. No problem there
3) The bleeders I can't get to break loose and I broke 1 an broke an easyout on it, I need to get 1 out intact so I can get the right tap
Any suggestions on breaking them loose without breaking them, heat,or what?
Thankyou for any help thanks:D

Aluminum, brass and Stainless mixed in one assembly. Not good. I replaced my Tiedowns when I broke off a bleeder and tried to drill them out. The bleed seat is part of the caliper so unless you get lucky and don't damage the bleed seat when you try and drill them out it's time for new calipers, or as I did new Kodiaks brakes

bugeyestp

Cadet

Thanyou Dingbat, I will try to get them drilled ou and replace the pads then. thankyou for your help:)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

OK I have started taking these brakes apart and here is what I have/
Tie Down ss 10inch discs/
In Full Backyard Mechanic Effect,
1) I c clamped a straight edge to the leafspring so it was touching the rotor, spinning the rotors to the point at which it was not touching the straight edge to check if the rotor are warped and yes the are not perfectly straight, 1 is off by .011 and the other is off by .021.... hopefully somone knows what I am talking about.
Is the a minimum reccommended measurment for this, These were not perfect when i put them on new, I assumed the were just "what I get" when you purchase the cheapest ss discs on the market and assummed they were within minimum requirements..
Do I need to replace them?:confused:
The maximum on a car is usually .004" runout. I don't know what the spec would be for a trailer, but knowing how much shake .008" can give (unbearable), I wouldn't imagine trailer specs would be much more.

bugeyestp

Cadet

Just a quick update for those whom would like to know!!
I call Tie Down Engineering Technical Support... They said maximum allowed runout is .125, or 1/8th inch.. so therfore I am well within tollerance... And concerning the bleeder valves being broken he is sending me newbleeders free of charge;)...
Updates after I repair!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Sounds like your runout is good. For what it is worth when I first installed my Tie Down disc one disc was great no detectable run out with out getting out a dial calibrator. The other side was very bad. I noticed that by pulling the disc back off and rotating to a different set of holes it made a big difference. The disc it self was flat but where the disc push on to the hub had some burr that made it not go on all the way. Filed or dressed up around the studs where the disc bolts up to and got it also very flat with almost no run out.

I have also had some trouble with the blead valve being hard to loosen and also the hole in the bleed valve having green corsion that plug the hole. Able to use small drill and wire brush and get it opened up good. Use a little Antiseiz and also some Silicone spray to protect it for the next time.
When there stuck I try a 6 point deep socket first with a ratchet. If still does not free up I get the air wrench out and turn it way down. The hammer type impact seams to loosen very well.

Thanks for the report on the Kodiak silver Cadmium with metal pads upgrade.

Bodega Bay Weather on 4-30-2008 Rough day stay in port.
Winds NW 320 degrees at 31.1 Knots with Gust to 36.9 Knots.
Seas NW at 11.2 Feet every 6.1 Seconds, Very steep, Sea Temp 49.1 degrees F

tommays

Admiral

They said maximum allowed runout is .125, or 1/8th :eek:

I find it hard to believe that could be correct as the pads would have to travel 1/8 to make braking contact and would be pulseing like CRAZY :confused:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I still have a set of 4 Tiedowns that I took off my trailer if you need a slightly used caliper. PM me if you want.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

They said maximum allowed runout is .125, or 1/8th :eek:

I find it hard to believe that could be correct as the pads would have to travel 1/8 to make braking contact and would be pulseing like CRAZY :confused:
I was thinking the exact same thing, but hey what do I know. Maybe it's actually .0125" and someone got their numbers goofed. Or maybe a typo....125" just seems like an awful lot.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No way it is 0.125.

bugeyestp

Cadet

I thought that was a little much also.. His exact words were".125 or 1/8th inch"... Hre is the phone # to Tie Down 800-241-1806 I welcome anyone interested to call and find out, of course if you find out he told me wrong I would like to know.. I spoke with Roy at ext. 344.. :confused:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The disc itself is made from 5/16”-3/8” thick Stainless steel. No is no way on earth are you going to heat those up and expect to hold run out under 0.010” or 0.100" for that matter. That task would be physically impossible given the thermal expansion qualities of stainless steel.

To compensate for the problem the brake calipers are floating on pins and are free to track the caliper as it rotates. The 1/8” allowable runout relates to plus or minus 1/16” of an inch of caliper travel with is believable considering the simplicity of the design of brake assembly.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If he is saying 0.125, that is 20 to 40 times what a normal car would have and it is no wonder that they have problems with these brakes. Some OEM specs for automotive discs are as low as 0.002. Most tell you to replace the rotor if you have 0.004. Absolutely incredible that he is telling you this.

All disc brake calipers float that have pistons on one side of the caliper. If you have that much runout, one of two things are going to happen, either the piston is going to be pushed into the bore or the caliper pins and bushings are going to wear out over time. If the piston gets pushed into the bore, you may not have enough fluid volume to press out the piston in one stroke when it comes time to brake.

Bottom line is that stainless is an extremely poor conductor of heat. Couple that with the fact that these are cut from a solid roll, are not integral with the hub and are not vented make the heat disipation of these almost nothing. It is no wonder they warp. A 4 cylinder japanese compact car comes with better discs than these tie-downs.

bugeyestp

Cadet

:(OK!!
I tired of screwing with this Tie Down B.S.
I am going to switch to either Kodiak 10" vented silver cadmium /or reluctantly the
Tie down galvanized coated vented aluminum caliper..
which ones does everyone reccommend.
:redface:

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Kodiak, all the way.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just be aware that the silver cad coating will be worn off the discs instantly and that you still need to flush the discs after you are in salt water to keep the rust down. I have the E-coated Kodiaks and use them in salt water and have no problems. I was going to get the silver cad ones but got such a killer deal on the e-coated ones that I just went with them...no regrets.