Thru Hull Exhaust

I'm installing new custom thru hull exhaust on my Stingray 230 SX with 350 mag MPI. Can I leave the Y pipe, remove the stern drive bellow, and just cap off at top of Y pipe?

Re: Thru Hull Exhaust

Thanks Nutcase. Just a little insurance incase the noise is too much I have the option to add captains call without removing the motor to reinstall the Y pipe. Thanks!

Just be aware many states and lakes are setting restrictions on noise levels. Also be aware it will make you more enemies than friends on the water. A lot of boaters and fishermen go to the water for the calm and quiet it gives them and the last thing they want to hear is a wide open exhaust. ;)

We have many airboats on the gulf coast of Fl. here so people seem to be use to the noise. The noise restrictions here apply during night hours within 600 feet of shore. Thanks for the reply.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Also be aware that if the cap(s) come off that Y-pipe your boat is going to the bottom. In a freaking hurry. Your bilge pump will be usless against that much water inflow, and you wont be able to bail fast enough to notice a delay in how fast it goes down.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a liberator and the thru hullls ride out the side and are below the water line at idle. Its not as quiet as a thru hub but it is nice at idle and at a run it is loud

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I recently looked a Wellcraft for sale that some twit had capped the top of the Y pipe by shoving a plastic beer cup (like you get beer in at festivals) down each pipe.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have thru the hull exhaust, and they come out just above the waterline. I'm looking for an easy way to quiet things down... maybe I should look to an in-pipe muffler or something. I'd rather they exited underwater, but as a relative novice with a new (to me) boat, I am trying to "Keep It Simple..." for now.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

if the top end of the y-pipe is well above the waterline, there's little danger in sinking the boat even without them capped. That being said, drop by the local hardware store (ie lowes, home depot, etc...) and pick up rubber clamp on 4" pipe caps for about ten bucks a shot.

in terms of making it quiet, inline mufflers are a good option, turn down tips make a big difference in the amound of sound that's heard (especially if they're in the water or very close at idle), and tips with mufflers are also great. Be aware that quality marine mufflers that tone down the volume without being overly restrictive are pricey...

If you have room, the earlier corsa "quick and quiet" set-ups where the exhaust goes through the drive and the mufflers (not switchable, uses both, reduces backperssure a lot, gives a mild but throaty exhaust sound from the through hull and still allows you to make use of vented props, etc... are really a nice option. they're available cheapo used if you look say on ebay.

imho...

havasuboatman

Ensign

The tops of the Y-pipe are rarely above the water line, and not covering them even if they were is just stupid. every time you came off plane, every swell or wake would flood the engine compartment.

The top of the Y pipes are approx. 8 inches above the waterline at rest. I wil definitely cap then tightly. Thanks for the comments

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I wasn't advocating leaving them open... mine were a good bit above the waterline, but I waited until I hed the engine out and did the blockoff plate on the bottom...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I had Capt's Call on my 211 Liberator when I had the "Modern high-technology" OMC 460 King Cobra installed.......

Very few people thought it sounded "great" when switched to the "thru-hull" setting. Most of the time, everyone in the boat screamed "switch it back, switch it back!!!"

When I put the 454 Bravo in......I left the Capt's Call in the box on the floor.........

YMMV.....

Rick