THROTTLE

seajay

Seaman Apprentice
Twist grip feels stiff;is there a lube avalable? carb linkage smooth with cable disconected. :confused:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: THROTTLE

I don't know the year/make/model, but most have an adjustment to varry the tension to taste.<br />Yes, graphite cable lube works,but is messy, and not easy to get into those skiny jackets.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

THe folowing is a repost...................<br />.(just wanted to make sure it was in here, in case someone else runs into this problem<br />and does a "search"......................in answer to your question,I have no idea. If it is like the oder models,the adjustment is under the rubber grip's cap. It will be a nut with a screw in the center. Loosen the nut,adjust the screw unti it is looser than you want by just a bit.Then re-tighten the locknut.. If it is not there, (under the cap), look at the outboard-end of the tiller,and look for a tensioner there. It may be, that it just needs a little lubing. Undo it from the carb (it is attached in the same way as some bike hand break cables, if you can picture that.<br />Try it dosconnected, and see if the tension is still there when u twist. If i isn't, the problem IS in the carb mechanism.However,I would be suprised if the problem was there.<br />They don't sieze-up there under normal use usualy.<br />Good luck<br />And standby for other, more on-track replies..The guys here are great. And someone,no doubt, has run into the same thing you have on the exact same egine.

I had the same problem on an old evinrude 4.5 that we just took out of storage to use for reservoir management. the cable was dry and in need of lubrication and required enough force to turn it that it broke 2 little plastic bushings that ride in a spiral grove of the twist grip and pull on the cable. I am new to boating and this message board so I am sure there are better ways of doing things but I was able to lube the cable by taking it loose at the carb and elivating that end. I then took a plastic baggy and snipped the corner off and slipped it over the cable and taped it tight to the casing and sprayed a big puddle of chain and cable lube into the bag. A day or so later it was dripping out the other end (at the twist throttle) and I worked the cable a few times with my fingers and it seems to slide free and easy now. now all I need to do is try to find those bushings :rolleyes: . I may try to make some out of metal. Good luck.<br /><br />Dave

seajay

Seaman Apprentice

thanks 12 footer and drifter will try both will post results.