Throttle/Shifter - No Fwd

PNW_

Recruit
Boat Information
2006 Bayliner 175
Alpha One Gen II (SN: 0W852114)
3.0 l Engine (SN: 0W607156)

Problem Statement
Immediately before this problem occurred, I hear a plastic snapping sound from the throttle arm assembly. It is likely that the trigger was not pulled all the way when the throttle arm was pushed into the forward position.

When moving the throttle arm from neutral, 12 o'clock position, to the forward position, the drive does not shift into forward. Engine RPMs can spin freely as the drive remains in neutral.

When the throttle arm is in the 12 o'clock position, and trigger NOT pulled, there is a bit of play, the throttle arm can be rocked a small amount between forward and reverse. The drive WILL shift into forward with the following:
1. Without trigger pulled, move throttle arm as far as the arm will travel to the reverse side while "locked".
2. Pull trigger.
3. Shift throttle arm into forward position.

Attempted Corrections
Based on the problem background, I find it highly unlikely there is an issue with the shift cable, linkage, or mechanical shift mechanism in the drive. I suspect the issue relates to the mechanical mechanism inside the throttle arm itself.

Google + Youtube yield few results on how to disassemble this style arm which is needed for troubleshooting and confirming which broken piece needs to be replaced. I started by removing the neutral lock button, see image, since similar videos idicated it could be pried off. With the combination of cheap plastic, and cold temps, the retaining clips on this button broke. With this failure I ceased disassembly and decided to consult the forum.

Without a root cause confirmation, it seems that there are only options for replacement:
1. Throttle arm, $90, (https://www.boats.net/product/mercu...xUMbrw2kDwS_McuZMHDxetC-CiK0I_VcaAoXREALw_wcB)
2. Entire throttle/shift assembly, $277, (https://www.partsvu.com/remote-cont...D6HahQzkWRzy0Cu_kHwix1e5qCtl72BsaAqAbEALw_wcB)

Does anyone immediately know which component this relates to, or, how to continue with disassembly? No similar situations were found in the forum. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3543.jpg
    IMG_3543.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3544.jpg
    IMG_3544.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 5

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... I haven't had a controller like yer's apart, so I can say what, or where to look,.....
What I can do, is move this thread over to the forum that deals with cables, 'n control boxes,....

PNW_

Recruit
Bondo - Thx for the welcome to the boards. Appreciate your comment and redirection to the appropriate forum. I will get the correct forum next time.

For anyone with a similar control assembly, let me know if you've had this issue or not. The more I am thinking on this one, the more replacing the entire assembly seems the way to go. I bought this bought used in June 2020 and PO had kept it outside which definitely didn't help the plastic pieces lifespan. I DIY'd the upholstery so last winter so maybe it is time to replace the controls.

If I decide to go the full assembly replacement route, I will post the progress and results to this thread. There will be much to dis/re assembly and much which could go wrong.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Does the motor shift into reverse? If not, I have had the "throttle only" button stick "in" on my controller. So the motor would not go into any gear.

The cure was to disassemble the shifter and grease everything.

PNW_

Recruit
Hi Chris, thanks for sending this advice. In my situation, the reverse was operational. This happened when firing up the boat to head back in after an evening on the river. When forward wasn't working, I shifted in and out of reverse to confirm that I could get back to the ramp in reverse if needed.

What grease did you use for lubricating the controller? I've noticed my throttle only button could catch from time to time but it never stuck. What else did you grease on the controller?

At this point I think I will lean towards replacing the entire unit. Need to prepare for how to disassemble that controller. I will confirm the PN next time I am in the shop and will update this thread on the procedure used since I am not having any luck finding a one for this model.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I boat in salt water, so I use a decent marine grease. I greased all moving parts, after cleaning the old grease and dirt off of them.

Alpha 1 outdrives are likely the most popular. You should be able to shop around for a new control.