Throttle issues

Capt.Spaulding

Recruit
I am not sure where to go with this issue or what it is exactly so here's what I am working on. I have a 2006 Lowe Sun Cruiser Trinidad 240 pontoon with a Honda BF90A. The problem is when I got to accelerate to full throttle, the motor only goes up to about half throttle also when shift into reverse there is no throttle, it won't move. I took the throttle/shifter control lever apart checked that the controller worked and took the cables loose and made sure they functioned. With just the cable I was able to get the motor to throttle up, however it wasn't very smooth. So, I put it back together and it did the same thing, only took the motor up to about half throttle and no reverse like before. I am leaning to the accelerator cable being the issue cause it's so stiff. But my concern is the throttle control box may also have something wrong with it. When i had it off and disconnected, I saw nothing broken and it functioned correctly. And it doesn't have any issues switching from forward to reverse, I can hear them engage. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Many times when standing near the control, you can move the throttle and get a good visual on the moving carb. linkage to get an idea of where to investigate further. If it's not possible to move the control and watch the carb linkage, maybe have somebody give you a hand?

The 90a does have a short secondary cable leading from one side of the motor, around the front to the other side, so there is plenty of room for slop, and worn or binding parts. You just need to check it out to see where your issue is. In my experience, there is no one single thing to point you at. The problem could be anywhere from the throttle handle to the carb linkage....