Throttle for 85 Force, Where to find?

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
I've had some "log on" issues of late & happy to be back on the forum. I want to replace the throttle on my boat, it's never been right & I don't want to go through another season as is. It does work but when I push to WOT it will not stay. It feels like it doesn't go all the way & won't stay, it push's itself back so & need to hold pressure on it to keep it as far as it will go. There was an issue with the throttle when I bought the boat, it was up side down, ??? The gut said, "Oh, it still works, you'll get used to it". The garage/storage place saw that I did not like that so he sort of "fixed it" to where it is now. This year I just want to replace it all together. I've tried to screw around with it hopping to make it better with no luck. Question is: Where would I find a 1985 US Marine throttle? The boat & motor- 1985 Bayliner W/ 85HP Force O/B. Please, easy on the Bayliner cracks & jokes, I've heard them all. Anyway, Thanks for any direction. MAXX

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle for 85 Force, Where to find?

US Marine was , I believe made by Teleflex or Morse. The cables for your control are still the old Teleflex "Red Jacket" standard with 10-32 threaded ends. THUS: You can use any control box designed for Chrysler or Force Before 1992 when Merc changed to Mercury controls. You can check the iboats store or go to the Teleflex website and see what they offer.

Buying new will cost a pretty penny so the other option is to search the auctions. Your Bayliner should have the controls with only the handle showing BUT you do have the option of buying and installing surface mount controls.

I have sold so many Force engines already this year, that I am out of used controls and I am also looking for good used sets.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Frank, I'll give that a shot. I just really didn't know where to start looking for a new or good used one. Who knows, if I take it apart myself maybe it's just something simple to fix, doubt it though... I'm never quite that lucky. Anyway, If I do find a replacement would you want this one? Might be something up your ally as far as repairing it. I'll let you know when I decide what the deal is. Tanx again, MAXX

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I like Bayliners,I've owned a few,2-21's 28, 32!
What kind of Bayliner? The Capri? Or a Trophy?
The Capri uses a side mount,the trophy a binacle mount.
I have a binacle if needed.
You sure the shifter is the problem?
Unless it's falling apart or won't move it might be a different problem.
I helped a guy one time and all that was wrong was the connectors were swapped.
Your lnikage might just be binding??

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Jerry, Happy to hear from you. I've been unable to log on for a while & glad to be back on the forum. The unit I have is a real basic side mount, no tilt/trim just F-N-R on a 1985 Bayliner Capri 17' w/ an 85hp Force O/B. The more I think about it, I think the shop owner just "jerry rigged" it to it's current upright position because I was not thrilled with it being inverted at the time of sale. The seller said "Oh, you'll get used to it being upside down". The actual feel is: When I move it to WOT it gets tighter & tighter the farther I push it & it will not stay in the full on position, it pulls itself back like the cables are tugging it back. I'll bet dollars to donuts it's an easy fix. I just lived with it until now because 1st, I just wanted to get on the water & 2nd, It did reach the recommended speed & RPM for that size motor & boat, (as long as I kept pressure on the controller foreword). It's going to be job #1 when the friggin weather turns...4 to 6" tonight & 6 to 8" Saturday. Super SUCKS to be here now. Anyway, thanks for chiming in, you & Frank are the only ones I trust on this stuff. I'll be intouch when I tear it apart. I'll still bet it's a twisted or kinked cable. Be Cool, MAXX

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pics of the cable ends on the motor?
How big a bend or small bend in the cable in front of the motor?Pics of the cable?
Sometimes people put on cables that are too short and they make shifting and throtteling up difficult.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, can't do pic's for awhile. The boat is still wrapped up in shrink wrap & tarps & we just go 4" of snow yesterday & looking at another 6" on the weekend, (man I hope their wrong on that one). Last year on this day, 1st day of Spring I might add, the temps were in the mid 70's. Sucks to live here. I'll tear it apart & look it over when the weather turns.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Very strange, I unwrapped the boat this weekend & took the padded trim piece the throttle is attached to off & it seems to me the throttle is working freely as it should while I have the trim piece pulled away from the side of the boat it mounts to. What I'm thinking is...When I bought the boat the mech "fixed" the throttle (was inverted), but never took the trim piece off to do the "fix", I can tell after removing the screws for the trim that they have never been out before. I'm betting he just "jerryrigged" it by reaching up from under the trim & something was binding or pinched when pushed to WOT. I'll know more when I put the trim back on today.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It's not jerry rigged anymore!!! It's MAXXIE rigged now!
It might not EVER work again??? :) :)

Oh yea I saw a shifter on e-bay yesterday.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Ha! No offense on the "jerryrigged" thing, I use another word before the "rigged" & didn't want to Major offend. Maxxierigged is good for me. Do you have a link to the throttle on ebay? If not, no big deal. I think this one will be fine as soon as I figure out the problem. Something is going wrong behind there. I'm in the middle of redesigning the custom overhead console in my FJ right now & need to finish that project first, need the CB, scanner & sideband in the truck as I really don't care for music anymore. I'll figure the boat out by the weekend, plan on splashing it over the weekend for a winter "de-bugging". I'll post up my findings.