Throttle control vs. forward/reverse gear

chris414

Cadet
Ok....here it goes. I took my boat out to the lake put it in. When i putting it in reverse, I moved the throttle all the way back before it would engage in reverse. By the way, it jerked hard into reverse and the throttle was all the way up by this time. When going forward, I moved the throttle forward about halfway before the gear would engage. I also jerked into gear and the throttle was halfway full. I don't really know how to make the proper adjustments. I feel like the throttle control and gear have to work in unison or be adjusted together in order for this to work right. I did install new control cables and thought everything was adjusted just right. But, what i learned on the lake yesterday, is that your driveway is one thing and the lake is totally different. What can I do to fix this problem? And, how can I make sure the proper adjustments have been made before setting out to the lake again? Note: I'm pretty familiar with adjusting the knobs, just don't know what adjustments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Throttle control vs. forward/reverse gear

Year and HP of engine?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You probably have the throttle and shift cables reversed. Put the control lever in neutral (straight up). As you watch the cables, have someone move the control lever forward just a little bit. The first cable to move is the shift cable. I'll bet you have that cable connected to the throttle linkage, not the gear shift. Remember, the boat needs to go into gear first before throttle is applied or you get the slam you mentioned. Once the gear is selected, further movement forward now causes the throttle to advance. The same applies to reverse.

chris414

Cadet

Sorry about not giving the year/model. It's 1977 Johnson (85hp). I will go swap the cables and see how it works out. I will let everyone know. Thanks.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

did you have the cables off? if you did not then they will not be swapped by majic, first off do the test decribed, then the adjustment is really simple, with the controls in neutral, remove the gear cable from the Motor end, put gear lever (on Motor) in neutral manualy, then adjust the plastic "runner" nut to line up with the notch in the Motor housing where it locates.

freddyray21

Commander

did you have the cables off? if you did not then they will not be swapped by majic, first off do the test decribed, then the adjustment is really simple, with the controls in neutral, remove the gear cable from the Motor end, put gear lever (on Motor) in neutral manualy, then adjust the plastic "runner" nut to line up with the notch in the Motor housing where it locates.

If he installed new cables he had them off. Don't know how to put new ones on without taking the old one's off.

chris414

Cadet

Well, I checked the cables to see which one moved first. The gear cable moved first. As a matter of fact, it moved about halfway, before the throttle cable moved. Next, I adjusted the throttle knob to see if that would do the trick. To no avail, It still didn't do the trick. I did notice that when I first put it in gear just a little bit, but not idle up, the prop starts turning, but it doesn't seem to be all the way engaged. It justs turns, but with a little resistance, the prop will stop. Could the prop hub have anything to do with that type of behavior? I'm really out of ideas here. It just seems to be something trivial and easy to adjust or not....lol

noelm

ooops, must have missed that bit, old age I guess, OK then cables have been replaced, next question is WHY?? was it to do with this problem? or something else (damaged or something) and has the adjustment been double checked? it is a very simple thing to adjust.

noelm

if the motor is running (of course) it is normal for the prop to slowly turn, most do it, some do not, I think the "throttle knob" you mentioned is only the friction adjustment, and has nothing to do with your current problem, if you can get forward and neutral or reverse and neutral but not both, then it is another problem.