throttle cable replacement???

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice
how do i know if i have to replace my throttle cable? i have a 1996 stingray 556 and i was cruising in barnegat bay when i hit some big wakes and slammed down pretty hard. immediatly the engine rpm's slowed and the boat slowed down but the throttle was in the same position. it then happened again a week later after another run in rough water. both times i would place the throttle in neutral and accelerate normaly again. i noticed adjustments on the carb side and a slide system. do i need a new throttle cable? its not a huge deal but annoying in the rough stuff. also i dont want to be out and have it not return to normal after i put it in neutral!!!

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: throttle cable replacement???

If I understand you correctly, you were running in some rough water, the throttle position was constant, but the engine slowed down. If that's the case, it's not your throttle cable that's bad. Something else is causing your engine to slow dow. Start be checking the obvious: electrical cable tightness, fuel pump, fuel lines, coil wire, distributor, vacuum leak, carb gasket tightness. How did the engine feel when it slowed? Was it sputtering? Did it just die? Did it momentarily die and then come back on? These are all questions which are part of a diagnosis. Don't just throw money and parts at a problem hoping to fix it; you'll waste money and time and may still have the same problem. Good luck. Hy

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice
Re: throttle cable replacement???

engine ran fine as it slowed. maybe dropped only 500 or 600 rpm's then ran at that speed consistantly. i then backed off the throttle to neutral and ran it up again and it functioned normal. i figured something was jarred loose. since it went back to normal i assumed the throttle. (i know what happens with assumptions! lol) boat ran fine after that and continues to. just dropped those rpm's im rough water after getting slammed around.