Throttle Box Identification!

Cowthief

Seaman
I have grown up on 2002 boat and newer. I just recently got this 1986 with a 90hp Johnson. Not familiar with these throttle boxes. What are the two arrows? I believe the choke is through the key? About month two of repairing things on this. I will start a thread soon with my project.

IMAG0165.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Throttle Box Identification!

Top arrow is the cold start /fast idle lever

The bottom arrow is a friction adjustment knob that adjusts the amount of push pressure to move the throttle forward

The gray wire going into the box is the tach signal wire and that control is lacking the tilt/trim buttons since I do not see the add on piece.

Cowthief

Seaman

The trim is on the dash, don't ask me why. I will be putting it back on the throttle arm. So for the top arrow do I move it up on a cold start then back down once it is started?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Putting the trim on the throttle are is going to cost you big bucks IF you can even find the part. The switch is NLA and the handle cover is also NLA. Leave your trim controls on the dash. You might pick one up on ebay and you need to pray the electrical switch works (they are over $50 just for the tiny rocker switch).

The shifter can not be moved while the cold start lever is engaged and it must be returned to the down position to allow shifting.

Cowthief

Seaman

Thanks Bob for all your help and guidance!