Thread Locker Choice

BobMaio

Seaman
I am replacing the seals in the upper unit and can't determine which thread locker to use. Red, Blue or Green. I think it should be blue so they can be removed in the future, but want to make sure. I cannot find a reference to it in the service manual. Also, I noticed on the Quicksilver seals there is a green coating on the edge. Is that thread locker?

louc

Seaman Apprentice
if you're referring to the bolts that hold the housing together, what does Merc say to use? I don't think I'd use thread locker I might use Merc Perfect seal to keep water out of the threads and reduce the chance of seizing. I have done this on my Cobra used in salt water and it has worked well, the bolts will come out without seizing up.

BobMaio

Seaman
No. I am referring to the seals. In the case of the driveshaft, the seal I am referring to is the one that gets pushed into the carrier plate.

alldodge

Staff member
Your in the Merc section so I'm assuming its a Merc drive. Which one (Alpha/Bravo) and at least what year?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
For nuts, screws and bolts another good option is Aqua-lube. For seals, use Loctite 515 (Master gasket)... And grease the lip before putting a shaft through them.

Chris.....