Thoughts / Opinions '99 150 Optimax

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, looking at upgrading my engine and I've found a 1999 150 Merc Optimax.

This is the ad as it looks on Craigslist...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/boa/1038957667.html

1998 Merc 150 Opti max outboard. New impeller, plugs, gear oil, 2 TPS (old ones needed replacement $350 value), and brand new side mount controls ($500) new. Motor has been scanned and shows only 120 hours on it. This is a strong running motor with 140-150 psi on all 6 cylinders. This is a DFI motor and will blow any other fuel injected or carbed motor out of the water for fuel economy. This motor is extremely quiet and can handle long periods of idling without worry of fouling plugs as compared to carbed OBs. The price is $4200 as they list for upwards of $16000 new. Will sell without controls for $3800. Motor must be sold by Friday and all reasonable offers will be considered

------------------------------------------

Here's some of the emails I've had with the seller, he runs a marine shop in town here....

It is a big advantage being fuel injected and electronically oil injected for both consumption reasons and safety reasons. The newer injected engines have safeguards in place which puts it into a limp mode to get you home and prevent further internal damage. This motor has spent alot of time sitting. The ECM Run time is only 117 hours ( I took pictures of this info when it was hooked to the scan tool). Extremely low hours. The fellow who had it before got it back in 2004 and I guess didnt put much time on it.. Its not recording hours unless the key is in the run position. I know when it came in last year for the TPS problems, I did numerous compression checks and it usually came in between 140 and 150 PSI which is close to what a new motor would come in at. (I can look back thru my records or do a comp test here with you)

The charging system on these outboards are 60 amp actual alternators running off of a serp belt (much like a newer vehicle) which is kick *** for running multiple batteries (a good idea when adding lights and other large draw acc.) and would handle a large stereo no problem . I just talked to the fellow who was wanting to buy it and I dont think he is going to do it as he is lacking the funds to pay for it in full.

I have owned this exact motor (one year newer) before and I loved it. It was extremely reliable, could be used to troll all day with, and had plenty of get up and go.

----------------------------------

I would stay away from the four stroke outboard myself. They are a lot heavier than their 2 stroke counter parts. You are getting the same prop shaft rated horsepower but with the additional weight of the 4-stk. The 150 Merc Optimax is almost identical fuel consumption, runs just as quiet as a 4 stroke (the Opti sounds like a sewing machine on steroids, and you do not have the worries of mixing fuel as it is electronically oil injected. They smoke very little at idle (a bit upon initial start up, but any engine will), but once the ECM takes over it will adjust mixtures as per ambient temperature.

The 150 Optis both meet and beat the EPA standards set in California as far as emissions go. This motor oils at a rate of 300-400 to 1 at idle (burning almost no oil at all) as opposed to 50 to 1 straight across the board and at wide open throttle oils at 60 to 1. This motor is Direct Fuel Injection meaning each cylinder has its own individual injector controlled by the ECM.

I dont blame you for not wanting a 2 cycle again after having a Force (originally a Chrysler, bought out by Merc in the 80's) A Force is probably the worst make of outboard going and does not surprise me you are
re-powering.

I'm not trying to sell you on this particular motor, but as far as four stroke outboards go, I think they suck. Heavy and dont wind out like a 2 cycle engine. I would never own a four stroke outboard, I would just as soon go to a straight inboard if I wanted a four cycle.

As far as weight goes the 150 2-stroke is 450 pounds. A similar outboard in four stroke say a 115, could easily weigh the same as the 2 stroke V6. If there are no transom stress cracks one could bolt on whatever OB they want. An 18 foot Maxum is easily capable of handling 150 hp. If the transom is questionable, I would get a 3/16 plate of aluminum and mount that with the outboard to help distribute the weight. Hope this is helpful

----------------------------------

If your interested in it still, let me know. This is a really good price for a 99 150 Hp Optimax. These are as fuel efficient as the new four strokes and run just as quiet. Thanks for the interest.

So I put it to the fine people of iboats. Your thoughts, experiences on this engine. I'm not sold on it yet, as I don't want to be stuck with something that won't get me home. It all sounds good, but again, this is a sale and I understand that. So if you have anything to share, the good, the bad, the ugly, particularly with this engine, size and brand, please share.

Thanks everyone;

Scott

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thoughts / Opinions '99 150 Optimax

These motors had a few updates when first released and would ask seller if it has had these updates done. I highly suggest that you use the DFI oil in this engine and additive for carbon build up. Engine is worthless without control box and wiring and $3900 would be fair price for all of it. As weight goes the Yammy 150 4 stroke only weighs 20 pounds more. Here is NADA pricing for that engine.

1999 MERCURY OPTIMAX SERIES 150L

February 18, 2009
Outboard Motors
Model: 150L
Motor Type: Gasoline
Volts (Electric Motors): N/A
Thrust (Electric Motors): N/A
Horsepower: 150

Cylinders: 6
Start Type: Electric
Dry Weight: 440
Power Tilt and Trim: Yes

Low Retail Average Retail

$3,000 $3,370

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...m=0013&d=17001301911&y=1999&ml=M&gc=MR&gtc=OB

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bullet, I asked him the exact question(s) you mentioned...this is the reply...

Hey Scott,

You are right, the DFI motors should run the distinct oil injction oil. The
Merc motors are always being updated. This motor may have had a new ECM
and that is why I think it may have lower hours. The principal of these
motor have made slight changes (ie the originals used on TPS as yours runs 2
which they do up to the current year.) However, the changes are usually
minor. As long as the motor is running strong, I wouldnt worry to much
about it.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm.

Been looking for a new motor. This one's not too far away.

j/k

The $4,200 is Cdn or about $3,400 US with today's exchange rate.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hmmm.

Been looking for a new motor. This one's not too far away.

j/k

The $4,200 is Cdn or about $3,400 US with today's exchange rate.

Check out the price of a gallon of the Optimax Oil. You might think twice.

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got off the phone with the guy and he's holding it for me ;) Going to check it out tomorrow, watch it run, check out a couple of things. I understand the oil and spark plugs for this motor are up there, but that's the cost of doing business I guess.

What are you looking for Tacklewasher? Have you checked Craigslist, buysell.com, the usual? I can ask around down here (the lower mainland).

What are your thoughts on this engine TW? Glad to hear that someone else is interested.

Good luck in your search;

Scott

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I was just kidding. I'm happy with what I have right now and a 150 would be too much for my boat.

But it does sound like a good deal. And I'm not really sold on the 4 strokes. I'd prefer a good 2 stroke, either the optimax or an etec, if I was buying.

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's good to hear TW, ya I thought 4-strokes were the way of the future, but I think I'm just jaded from my recent motor, 2-stroke Force.

Lighter, more power with the flywheel spinning much faster, etc.

The noise associated with a 2-stroke is not much of a worry with this engine as well. And I don't really care, I like hearing that baby power up and go :)

SSS

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just an update with my previous post. I went through with the engine and it should be installed and good to go within the week! Really looking forward to this season now. The added power and reliability will be a great bonus this summer.

What are some basic storage ideas to consider when putting it away each day? Leaving it in the down position, etc. Anything to remember?

I also told by the mechanic that when transporting to and from the water, it's best to leave the engine in gear as that prevents the prop from spinning due to the wind, therefore reducing any chances of a spun, damaged hub. Good to know!

Thanks for the info everyone, this is a great, great site!

Scott