Thoughts on price for this left over boat.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a new leftover Monterey 214 FC for $30,000. No trailer.

ALL NEW FOR 2009 MONTEREY 214 FC

POWERED BY VOLVO PENTA 4.3L @ 225 HP DUO PROP

VITAL STATS:

LOA: 22? 9?

FUEL CAPACITY: 55 GAL. U.S

BEAM: 9? 2?

HULL WEIGHT: 3,900LBS

AVERAGE DEADRISE: 20 DEGREES AT TRANSOM

WATER CAPACITY: 9 GAL.

COLOR: ONYX( BLACK)

FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS:

DUAL BATTERY SWITCH WITH TRAY

DEPTH FINDER

COCKPIT CARPIT

COCKPIT COVER CANVAS

FULL CANVAS ENCLOSURE WITH BACKDROP CURTAIN

TILT STEERING WHEEL

EXTENDED SWIM PLATFORM

COMPASS

STAINLESS STEEL PULL UP CLEATS

TRANSOM SHOWER WITH PRESSURIZED WATER

Thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thoughts on price for this left over boat.

Attempting to do some Googling and am not finding anything on a Monterey 215 FSC. What was the MSRP? Just remember this boat is now (as far as anyone else is concerned) 3 years old. So pay accordingly.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its actually a 214FC as they changed the naming convention this year which this boat for 2011 would be a 225 FSC. I agree it is 3 years older. I think MSRP was right around 45k. But I am having trouble finding it as well. Hence my question.

^^^^ What EZ said...plus if you do purchase make sure all warranties start from date of purchase not from 2009.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Monterrey makes nice boats, well equipped. Price actually seems OK, verify the warranty but seems like a decent deal to me. Of course it's been there for a while so you may even get that price to move a little. As a buyer right now you have the leverage.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

http://www.boatguideweb.com/makes/monterey/sport_boat_collection/224_fsc/ this shows MSRP at $39k.

Now, $9k off sounds pretty nice. However, there have been some crazy deals out there from what I've seen. If it wasn't the base motor and/or included a trailer I would definitely be of the opinion that it was a great deal. As it is though, I'm not sure. 3 years is a long time as far as depreciation goes.

Very nice boat though! The Montereys at the boat show I recently went for were all awesome.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been eyeing this boat for 6 months. I called back yesterday and now all the sudden they have a deposit down on it but the sales guy isn't feeling confident it will go through, and will let me know tomorrow. My current boat will be going to the Marina on Saturday to get bottom painted. Once that is done I won't be looking at moving into another boat till the season is over and I let the dealer know that. Well see what he comes back with tomorrow. I guess if it is meant to be it is meant to be. But I ain't going to lose sleep over it. Have a bit of the two feet itis. :)

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

200921monterey006.jpg

200921monterey005.jpg

200921monterey004.jpg

200921monterey003.jpg

200921monterey002.jpg

200921monterey001.jpg

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat but you could probably get one that is slightly used with a trailer for a lot less $$. Don't get caught up in the moment, take a breath and see what else is out there. Don't let those dealership guys push you into something you'll regret when fall comes around.

Sure is a nice boat though. ;)

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't need a trailer as I will have it slipped in the bay. They would also take my boat in trade in. So that is appealing as well. But you are right. I am just letting them come to me. If the deal works out good by Friday then ok. But if not I wait till next winter season.

shrew

Lieutenant

I have been eyeing this boat for 6 months. I called back yesterday and now all the sudden they have a deposit down on it but the sales guy isn't feeling confident it will go through, and will let me know tomorrow.

What an incredible coincidence. It seems that every car, boat, or bike I look at all of a sudden has someone coming back to look a 2nd or 3rd time (And they're always coming today, tomorrow or this Sat.). OR someone has JUST made an offer, or has placed a deposit on it. Every Single Time!!

So the boat has sat for 3 years, and now all of a sudden the dealer has a bidding war for the boat in the middle of an incredibly soft economy. Maybe..................but it's doubtful. I would expect a call from the seller very soon.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

I don't need a trailer as I will have it slipped in the bay. They would also take my boat in trade in. So that is appealing as well. But you are right. I am just letting them come to me. If the deal works out good by Friday then ok. But if not I wait till next winter season.

Today is Friday 3/18/2011.......I would speak to the dealer until he calls you..... seems kinda fishy to me.

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Monterey makes a really nice boat. The price sounds a little higher than I would think considering it's a 2009 but not that much higher. As with any new purchase, the day you take title, the boat will significantly reduce in value but we all know that. One BIG concern I have is that the boat is underpowered. It only has a 4.3 GXI engine. That's the base engine for that model and being a 6 cylinder engine, it's going to be working very hard to push your 3,900 Lb. boat. I expect that this is one of the reasons why the boat is still for sale. Once you put 4 adults on that boat, you're going to find that it's not going to be very easy to pull a skiier, get on plane, etc. Your engine is going to work very hard to push the boat with gear and 4 adults. That boat should have a minimum of a 5.0 Litre engine if not a 5.7 especially considering the shape of its hull, deadrise on it, and weight of boat. I think unless you like cruising at 15-20 MPH, you will be disappointed in the performance of this boat if you buy it. Again, I'm guessing that's why this boat has been sitting so long. I bet quite a few people passed on it due to it being an underpowered boat.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, the base horsepower for a 5.0 is what, 270 with Volvo? Versus the 225 of the 4.3 (with a duo prop no less). The 5.0 tops out at 53mph in the test I saw, extrapolating from just the raw horsepower says the 4.3 would do 44.5mph or so (not to mention the 100lb weight difference or the fact that resistance does not go up in a straight line), so I seriously doubt that a 4.3 will have trouble getting on a plane or cruising at 30mph.

TestEngr

Seaman Apprentice

Monterey makes a good boat, no doubt. But I'd be a little leery about a boat that's "new" but sat for 3 years. That would throw up red flags for me. But that's just me. You need to go with your gut feeling. If you think it's a good deal, then it is a good deal. Good luck!

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, the base horsepower for a 5.0 is what, 270 with Volvo? Versus the 225 of the 4.3 (with a duo prop no less). The 5.0 tops out at 53mph in the test I saw, extrapolating from just the raw horsepower says the 4.3 would do 44.5mph or so (not to mention the 100lb weight difference or the fact that resistance does not go up in a straight line), so I seriously doubt that a 4.3 will have trouble getting on a plane or cruising at 30mph.

Seems to me your mind is made up, if it were me id want the larger motor. You'll burn less gas with a larger motor as you won't need to wi d the motor up or make it work as hard as the smaller motor.

this topic is apparently closed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Seems to me your mind is made up, if it were me id want the larger motor. You'll burn less gas with a larger motor as you won't need to wi d the motor up or make it work as hard as the smaller motor.

this topic is apparently closed.

tschmidty is not the OP so I don't think this topic is closed.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just to let all know, I waited for a call. No call back from this dealer. So I said screw it. They must not of wanted to sell me the boat. Owell wasn't meant to be. I' ll stick with my current boat for the season and enjoy. If I decide to upgrade I will do it in the next off season.