this will be a fun one..

alldodge

Staff member
Yes and you are somewhat a glutten for punishment...:eek:......:laugh:. That tank took real discipline and say tenacity to get out that tank the way you did...:cool:...Aside from that Fuel economy.....:nono: and speed density..:lie:...throttle response well I give you that..maybe. Don't get me wrong if one has a tightly strung engine and want's extreme reliability...safe guard... from detonation or flexability on timing curves yes aside from that a well tuned carb with the right valve train not going to buy into that so

Carry on my good man...:ranger:

Ohh and as alway's......Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed density, who said anything about that :noidea:

Don't have a clue also about "aside from ...." doesn't make since

Either way ya'll have fun now and play nice

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Speed density, who said anything about that :noidea:

Don't have a clue also about "aside from ...." doesn't make since

Either way ya'll have fun now and play nice

I alway's play nice ALLDodge and have a great respect for your ability's.....just have some fun is all. Speed density or open loop no input from OS sensor's...You might be surprised how rich mefi runs say 9/1 maybe 10/1, Factory tunes are crazy rich.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Throttle response is a function of tuning and backup torque. EFI vs carb.... Going to need more popcorn. Speed density EFI in a boat is barely a step above Kohler's finest. EFI gets you minor corrections to barometric pressure changes, however I would argue against any significant performance increases.

Back to the OP's posts....... I still suggest selling the miss-matched pile of parts and get a complete BBC/Bravo

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
thank you. that may be the plan. it was looking that way. i dont care if i run a carb. i figured the newer stuff was good and less hassle. the only thing about efi is altitude compensation. im at high altitude. but i can adjust a carb. it appears that all the engine controls were on the engine. so could someone suggest ignition for a big block? or i have a 9.5 to one 4 bolt small block i was building for the other boat. i would want a bblock boat with a bravo three for exhaust and attaching parts. and so gearing is right. would i want to look for an earlier boat? what year did bravo three come out?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Bravos have been behind everything from 4.3 liters to 8.2 liters. there is every ratio available that one would need. the bravo has been arround since the early 90's

alldodge

Staff member
thank you. that may be the plan. it was looking that way. i dont care if i run a carb. i figured the newer stuff was good and less hassle. the only thing about efi is altitude compensation. im at high altitude. but i can adjust a carb. it appears that all the engine controls were on the engine. so could someone suggest ignition for a big block? or i have a 9.5 to one 4 bolt small block i was building for the other boat. i would want a bblock boat with a bravo three for exhaust and attaching parts. and so gearing is right. would i want to look for an earlier boat? what year did bravo three come out?

Your old EFI engine has an engine wiring harness and an EFI wiring harness. To go with a carb just separate the two harnesses, and then add in a new ignition system like MSD or the like. You can also pick up a build your own harness in link below and build your own.
http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-13230-custom-mercruiser-style-engine-harness.aspx

Don't need a B3 just because you have a BB or SB, need the B3 mainly because you have a heavy boat. You can use the B3 more if you go with a SB to help get the heavy boat up on plane. If you plan on going much faster then 50 maybe 60MPH, may want to think about a B1

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the way I take it, the motor and harness are missing, so he should be starting from the round plug.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
the idiots cut the round plug off but yes thats correct. so im sure a carb will be the easy way. whats the difference of a b1 and mr1? my drive i have is geared for sb and is basically new inside

Scott Danforth

Staff member
doesnt matter if you are starting at the round plug. both a carbed motor and a EFI motor all start at the round plug. Battery, gnition, start, tach, oil pressure, water temp, and tilt all come up the plug. no less....no more. the EFI specific crap sat on the motor.

thumpar

Admiral
the idiots cut the round plug off but yes thats correct. so im sure a carb will be the easy way. whats the difference of a b1 and mr1? my drive i have is geared for sb and is basically new inside
The B1 is a heavier duty drive. It is rated for more horsepower. They are bigger and weigh more. The big difference in the way it works is that the Bravo drives have a cone clutch that is super smooth when shifting compared to the noisy clutch dogs in the Alpha style drives.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The Bravo will handle up to 600hp, the Alpha 300 max, the MR a bit less