This look right? Cav/vent prob.

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: This look right? Cav/vent prob.

Was thinking the hull might also be agitating the water a bit and getting bubbles to the prop. This old Lund if far from smooth on the bottom. It will vent a little at speed going in a straight line if there are small to moderate waves in the three upper holes. It would also cavitate when starting out in the two upper holes. Would like to get it fixed so I can pull my son on a tube or something this summer. I know he will want to be tossed into the turns and right now it won't happen. Thanks all.

BF

Lieutenant

you might also check the structure of the boat. if the stringer/or cross bulkheads are at all compromised, that will let the aluminum bottom flex (in some chop or during a turn) and that makes a hook in the bottom that can gulp some air down into the prop. I have this problem with my 16' utility boat... repairing and reinforcing the rear bulkhead (cross seat) is on my list of things to do in the spring. I previous owner had changed the structure of the bulkhead and created some storage where there wasn't originally. On mine, it would cavitate in chop... I thought I had spun the prop hub at first.

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boats apart right now and I might pull the engine. If the hull is causing the problem would a 4" setback plate help?

Looking at this.
37929.gif

I guess it would also allow me to drop the motor if needed. I might be willing to give up a few mph if it cures this issue.