This is why I never liked allowing outside images to be linked........

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Years later the post is completely worthless Completed Boat Project

Always tried to set the websites I managed to upload only so years later the images would always be there regardless if the member was.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: This is why I never liked allowing outside images to be linked........

The process (of the forum) was different when that was first posted and has changed a number of times over the past 11+ years.

Okay so iboats is not perfect and has been constantly upgrading to make it better. I was not aware that since the photos may have vanished that things became worthless. I hope that boat is still going strong.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob I think you know what I mean....but it's good you made it sound so much tackier. And if you didn't understand it, using photo bucket allows photos to disappear whenever the owner decides to delete the photos or move them, which in turn breaks the link to this site. Hence the reason to only allowing uploads so the iboats server stores them for future reference.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

iboats forum picture hosting used to be completely worthless. Definitely was back when that thread was posted. Extremely limited files sizes, etc etc. I still won't use it because it's unreliable and at one point all the images were at least temporarily lost. I'll keep using photobucket for my pictures where I have some control over things. As long as I keep it current, it should work great.

Summer Fun

Banned

Sometimes its not the posters fault. I had photobucket crash on me & I lost over 70 pics. :mad:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Outside-hosted pictures are the weak link in any forum. Who's to say that tomorrow Photobucket won't pull the plug? I had it happen on a major picture hosting site (anyone remember Baytown {CA, not TX}?) some years ago when I was heavily into selling on ebay, POOF, the site was gone and did not come back. It wreaked havoc for lots of sellers on ebay, luckily I only listed a few auctions at a time.

Yep, if Photobucket disappears, this forum will become 50% (my guess) useless. At least with self-hosting on a forum, the whole shebang would disappear, not just the pictures.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup, but I'd still rather post links to images rather than do the upload routine. I just wish it worked for more links than just photobucket, because I have my own set of web pages as part of my ISP service. If photobucket pulled the plug on their 'free' service, my links would still be "in business".

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Agree, 99% of the photos I have on here are on Photobucket. If you can set up your ISP service to allow public viewing, you should be able to link to that here the same way???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just wish it worked for more links than just photobucket, because I have my own set of web pages as part of my ISP service.

It does work for others. If you have a URL, just click on the Insert Image icon and do this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member

OK, this is a test of picture posting . . .

Formula242SS.jpg

OMG, it works :D Thanks Don !!!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

It does work for others. If you have a URL, just click on the Insert Image icon and do this.

attachment.php

Hmm Don i have tried that route and get the little thumb nail which can be enlarged with a click..Can one still post the old 800x600 monsters these days?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Let's see.

attachment.php

Edit: The forum software makes the image smaller, if you want to see it full size, just click the thumbnail and then the image to see it even larger.

Now we know.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0

Summer Fun

Banned

I thought the rule/law on here was nothing bigger than 600x480 ??.