This happened today, and in the blistering heat.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
Well, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it did today, and in this F..g heat wave. While backing my boat in the ocean, the main eyelit from the bow (pic enclosed) ripped right out and the boat flew off the trailer. It took me and my friend 4 hrs to get it jacked up on blocks and boards, and then used 4 thick 10ft lengths of PVC pipes as rollers, and we were able to roll it back into the water. As luck has it, it was low tide.
🤬😤😡🤬 What a Shyte Show! OMFG

20240620_134735.jpg20240620_135626.jpg

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On a project boat I replaced the rotten wood block for the bow eye.-----Installed a second eye for safety chain.----Used solid glass salvaged material.------No more wood for me.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
Something failed for the tow eye to come out.

I didn't see any nuts on the end of that eyelit. Maybe they forgot to put them on from the factory. Who knows. There was lotsa silicon on the eyelit bolt part. I'll check it tomorrow. I'm in recovery now, aspirin, and water. 🤪😜🥴

flashback

Captain
Looking at all that black gook on the eye, I think someone just glued it in. Hopefully the hull ain't busted up to bad, but you have the material to repair it.

flashback

Captain
If you wish to replace the the bow eye find a piece of wood you can shape to fit inside the hull or maybe bend a piece of aluminumml to fit then imbed it in pb and glass over it.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
My guess is the backing block long ago rotted away and the nuts just backed off

When I looked closely at the u bolt before, I noticed there were pieces of nut threads on the ends of the u bolt, so I'm assuming the bolts rotted out. It would of been great if they used stainless, but obviously they didn't.