This and that

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I am continuing work on my nineteen. Just replaced impeller on outdrive, although old didn't look terrible I had know way of knowing how old it is so now I do. Now I am thinking about side windows and as I have said before I wish I could have a sliding window like the twentys sometimes had. This is what I am considering-making my own. If I cut one piece a bit over half in length I would secure that with screws/rivets to inside of frame. Then another same size I would put in track that is there now making the front part slid-able and the rear part fixed. I am planning on getting a slip this year and I want the windows to help keeping rain out but on hot days be able to open a bit. I know I could just use a full window and take in and out but knowing me i would break the thing. Just an idea anyway, what do you think? I am going to start practicing plexiglass cutting on a scrap this week as this will be a hard part. How thick is the Plexiglas the manufacturer uses? anyone know?
The Gimbel bearing swap is done and in spring will be putting drive back on. Still need to get start key change worked out as no matter what three wires I put on terminals it wants to start on run and start setting and starter not disengaging,finish tuning with "New" rebuilt carb and pertronic ignition. Will order new aft curtain this week. And I found an old chrome remote spotlight to put on. Finally new carpet and good clean/wax in spring and then...well I am sure I am forgetting something else on my list but you get the drift. Many people in my family/friends think I am a bit nuts for this old girl but I love the nineteen style. And I have always been nuts about boats anyway. Maybe growing up within spitting distance of lake Erie did that!

ziggy

Admiral
Re: This and that

morning L. sounds like yer really getting her fixed up cool. way to go..

Just replaced impeller on outdrive, although old didn't look terrible I had know way of knowing how old it is so now I do.
good idea.... i like to replace mine yearly. the s/m says go look at it once a year or every 100 hrs i believe. if i'm gonna look at it. i'm gonna replace it. gives me peace of mind knowing it's good. overheats are a bummer and impeller replacement is a step towards not having one imho.

Now I am thinking about side windows and as I have said before I wish I could have a sliding window like the twentys sometimes had. This is what I am considering-making my own. If I cut one piece a bit over half in length I would secure that with screws/rivets to inside of frame. Then another same size I would put in track that is there now making the front part slid-able and the rear part fixed.
imho, i think i'd make the stationary window be on the outside. also, imho, keep it original. the oem bubble windows are just 'too' cool imho. granted ya may get some good use out of a sliding window, but me, i just couldn't bring myself to drilling holes in my intact window frame. to ea. his own though.

I want the windows to help keeping rain out but on hot days be able to open a bit.
i close up when it rains, hot days i slide my hardtop back... i guess if it's hot and raining, the sliding window would be good but in my hood, most days wouldn't qualify for that. maybe if yer down south there could be extra motivation for this though.. like hot, and raining.

I know I could just use a full window and take in and out but knowing me i would break the thing.
yep, i boated twice last season w/o the side windows in place. it was hot as heck out and w/o side windows was the ticket. and yep. they can break.. broke window thread.. (which ya already read)..

I am going to start practicing plexiglass cutting on a scrap this week as this will be a hard part.
it's not to bad. i didn't do it the way AristoCraft does if for lack of tools. but i did have good success the way i did do it. keeping the plexiglas stationary is key i think. along with a nice sharp saw blade if that's the way yer gonna cut it.

I am going to start practicing plexiglass cutting on a scrap this week as this will be a hard part.
got my old spare center panel downstairs. it's 1/8'' think coke bottle green Plexiglas. #2111 i believe. side window glass was same thickness best i remember.

Finally new carpet
cool, i'm still running the oem stuff from '75. it's most certainly looking 'worn'. what are ya getting? color? texture? olifin carpet like the oem?

good clean/wax in spring
i did mine last fall. felt it the other day. 0*F out. felt smooth as glass... ;)

well I am sure I am forgetting something else on my list but you get the drift.
yep, and after ya complete your list. something else will come up i'd reckon.. typical boat in that respect imho.

Many people in my family/friends think I am a bit nuts for this old girl but I love the nineteen style.
not nuts at all. AristoCrafts are 'too cool' nothing else like them really...

And I have always been nuts about boats anyway. Maybe growing up within spitting distance of lake Erie did that!
probably so. i grew up going 'the lake' up in MN. grandad had a cabin there. i was knee high to a grasshopper when i was begging grandad to let me go out in the fishing boat (all we had back then in the early '60's). a 14' larsen w/ a 3.6 sears elgin engine on it. we called it jonny popper for what it sounded like. so, i blame my folks (dad mostly) for getting me into boats. they shouldn't have taken me up to the lake every summer.. sure am glad they did though.

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not decide on carpet yet-what I have looks like old indoor/outdoor and is in bad shape. I also need to make new hatch covers for floor-plywood is warped and does not fit right. thinking of ABS for a replacement-more money than wood but then it would be done for a long time. Have not decided on side windows yet-still thinking.

ziggy

Admiral

good luck on your carpet. at least, better luck than i've had. granted, i've not really looked hard as i don't have the bread to buy. but i can't find the green color carpet i will want. maybe your gold will be easier to find.
i had saved the attached pic from sometime ago, from someone, i can't remember who. but i looked like a pretty good idea for a replacement cover for the ski locker/fish locker. maybe the ice cooler too, i don't know. maybe you'll like it, maybe not, but it's an idea..

Attachments

• nineteen ski locker cover idea.JPG
    nineteen ski locker cover idea.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks nice. Do you use the front locker for a ice chest? Mine is one big locker with both front and rear connected under floor so wouldn't everything slide back when underway? Is there supposed to be a separator under there? Might use Nautolex on floor. I am not as picky on restoring boat to original look as making it functional for me.

ziggy

Admiral

Do you use the front locker for a ice chest?
nope. i keep my toolbox in there. + spare ign. parts, first aid kit, various other maint. type items.
Is there supposed to be a separator under there?
my '75 does. the separator is about at the ft. of the seat base (from best of my memory). there is a hole in the ft. of the ice box. it has a bathtub stopper that can plug it if ya want. the back of the ice box has a hole in it too. it has a bathtub stopper, complete w/ chain too. if ya'd leave the plugs out water could flow from the bow area, through the ice box, through the ski locker, out the back of the ski locker via one of them accordion tubes that leads to our so called bilge area, right in ft. of the garboard daine plug. i leave the plugs in, the back ski locker area i keep my oar, boat hook, fold up camp chair and fold up camp table + other longer type items. rubber sole water sandals are in there for safety if in need to walk in the water, in the muck (read missouri river)... as for the stuff sliding around (fwd), it's not to bad, i truely can't reach the ft. of the ski locker but if something has slid up that far and i can't get it, when i take the oar out, the stuff i can't reach has come with it.. thus gaining what i wanted to get...