Thinking

LadyFish

Admiral
It started out innocently enough.<br />I began to think at parties now and then -- to loosen up. Inevitably,<br />though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social<br />thinker. I began to think alone -- "to relax," I told myself -- but I knew<br />it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I<br />was thinking all the time.<br /><br />That was when things began to sour at home. One evening I had turned off<br />the TV and asked my husband about the meaning of life. He spent that night<br />at his mother's.<br /><br />I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix,<br />but I couldn't stop myself. I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I<br />could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and<br />confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"<br /><br />One day the boss called me in.<br /><br />He said, "Listen, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking<br />has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll<br />have to find another job."<br /><br />This gave me a lot to think about.<br /><br />I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I<br />confessed, "I've been thinking..."<br /><br />"I know you've been thinking," he said, "and I want a divorce!"<br /><br />"But Honey, surely it's not that serious."<br /><br />"It is serious," he said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college<br />professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on<br />thinking, we won't have any money!"<br /><br />"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently. He exploded in tears of<br />rage and frustration, but I was in no mood to deal with the emotional drama.<br /><br />"I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door. I headed<br />for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche. I roared into the<br />parking lot with NPR on the radio and ran up to the big glass doors...<br />They didn't open. The library was closed. To this day, I believe that a<br />Higher Power was looking out for me that night.<br /><br />As I sank to the ground, clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for<br />Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining<br />your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the<br />standard Thinker's Anonymous poster. Which is why I am what I am today: a<br />recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting.<br /><br />At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was<br />"Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since<br />the last meeting. I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home.<br /><br />Life just seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.<br /><br />I think the road to recovery is nearly complete for me. Today, I registered<br />to vote Democrat. ;) :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Thinking

:D :D A+ With Honors. Whoever wrote that went a long way for a political joke,... it was worth it!!!

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok this got me to thinking...........................................................................................................................................gee there really is a lot of dead space between my ears

KennyKenCan

Commander

That's why I gave up thinking! :D <br /><br />Plus, it's more fun when everyone thinks your as dumb as a box of rocks. :eek: <br /><br />Thinking destroys brain cells, worst than illegal drugs! :rolleyes: <br /><br />How come there is'nt any laws against that? :p

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I started down the same path once...then all that thinking started backing-up in my vbrain cells...I think they used to call this phenomenon "Stimulus flooding".. Anyhow, my head startyed to hurt. the more I thunk, the more I drunk, and my head hurt worse.<br />So I gave up thinking. I'vre been just fine since. And in the absence of thought, I nkow go thru life like Homer Simpson does. When someone axes me a question, I give them the same answer every time.. "I dunno".. they leave me alone, and I go back to fantasies about glazed donuts agghhhh!

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too am a thinker.<br />Yes. Its true. <br />Thinking and driving.<br />Thinking and boating.<br />Life is tough when you are under the influence of thought. I have to quit. But, who do I turn to? I don't trust any of the "groups". I think you just try to influence your thinking and don't realy try to get you to stop. You know. If you stop thinking they have no clients. So they get real close to getting you to stop but they never give you that last shot. You got to come back. Again and again. Stringing you along.......