thinking of taking out factory bow support?

tbone1987

Seaman Apprentice
i was thinking of taking out the factory bow suppot that goes across the front of my john 16ft john boat. (approx. 7"x24") aluminum piece that the front lights are mounted on. is this a good idea? im gonna replace it with plywood with the rest of the front deck. the aluminum 1 has a few broken rivets and is loose. also it is a 1642, is my 1969 evinrude 18 hp fastwin going to get this boat on plane? i know its kinda small but i got it with the boat and spent time getting it running.( carb clean, new impeller) dont want to have to upgrade. thanks for all the info i get back

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: thinking of taking out factory bow support?

First off Welcome to iBoats.
Second try and post some pics so we can see what you are dealing with. My signature has a link on how to post your pics.

I would try and Re-Rivet your Bow Piece. and Re-Buck the Loose rivets before I would replace it with Plywood. That 18 hp FastWin is one of the Best Motors ever made. It will most defintely get your boat up on plane.

tbone1987

Seaman Apprentice
Re: thinking of taking out factory bow support?

thanks alot. ill get some pics up as soon as i can. im glad top hear your good review of the fastwin becase i havnt found many that have a 69 and havnt been able find out if it a runner. thanks again