Thinking of switching controls for an outboard

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I’d like to change my controls from the Johnson/Evinrude OMC control box that mounts on the surface of the interior panel for something nicer looking.

I would like a cleaner looking style where the throttle box is inside the panel and all you see is the gear selector / throttle, OR If that proves to be too complicated I’d like to go with a more modern OMC control box/throttle. You know the dark gray type that looks more modern than the old white Johnson control boxes. This will be for a 1995 Evinrude three cylinder 50 or a 1990 Johnson 70. I have not decided which I’m going to run yet

If I go with the throttle gear selector only, and dash controls, I understand that there is a wiring harness that goes to dashboard controls.
So my question is what do I need for dash board items; tachometer, start stop off switch, anything else?

If I choose the more modern looking surface mount controls/throttle/your selector, where could I order one? Are all the late model controllers compatible with the early/mid 90s motors? There’s an ocean of them on the Internet. But I haven’t got an idea which ones are good which ones don’t work. Lots of no name stuff…

Thank you in advance

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Since you are standing right in the iboats store, this probably is a good place to start. Pick one that interests you and follow up with specs, etc.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Trying to retrofit a 30 year old motor to more modern controls may not be a workable project. OMC has been out of business for many years and BRP has not been kind to us oldies.

MY issue has been trying to find workable period correct parts and it has cost me a bundle.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you. so old style box it is until I upgrade my motor & controller to whatever I’m going with. Either Suzuki or Yamaha I guess. No more Evinrude :(

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thank you. so old style box it is until I upgrade my motor & controller to whatever I’m going with. Either Suzuki or Yamaha I guess. No more Evinrude :(
Historically Evinrude has been one of the best outboards ever built. I have 39 of them in my collection. Regardless, BRP put them out of business.

OMC did make a binnacle control, but after all these years trying to find old used parts are a chore.

If you have a Suzy or Yami dealer local to you, go for it. In today's market, though Mercury shines above all others, both in maintenance requirements and and dealer / parts network.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The public had / has no concept of how good a 2 stroke motor is for marine use.----Lack of demand for the product told BRP to stop marketing outboards for now.----BRP is NOT out of business.----They are supplying parts for the millions of motors out there.----Some parts for older Evinrudes are easier to get than for newer motors.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The public had / has no concept of how good a 2 stroke motor is for marine use.----Lack of demand for the product told BRP to stop marketing outboards for now.----BRP is NOT out of business.----They are supplying parts for the millions of motors out there.----Some parts for older Evinrudes are easier to get than for newer motors.
Consumer demand is what drives business. Many of us questioned BRP's wisdom of continuing with 2-strokes while all the other companies went to 4-strokes. Regardless of public concept, Government mandates is the root cause of the industry change.

Surely, BRP still makes snowmobiles and PWCs. It was the OB business they closed down. However, they reintroduced a new engine just this year. It is a horizontal partially underwater design, so far only available for pontoons. We saw one at the FLL boat show and heard a lot of comments from other people. (I think Ole must be rolling)

Parts will always be available as long as the aftermarket vendors continue to supply them.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys. Honestly, I have maybe 20 years of boating left until I can only dream about it.

I might just keep running 90’s-2000’s motors until I’m done. I don’t really want to drop 15k on a setup I will never wear out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There was an outboard motor with a similar concept back in the late 1930's.----A " Clarke Troller "----Piston / crank / block were under water.----No need for driveshaft , water pump or gears.----Very light weight .---A collector item today.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys. Honestly, I have maybe 20 years of boating left until I can only dream about it.

I might just keep running 90’s-2000’s motors until I’m done. I don’t really want to drop 15k on a setup I will never wear out.
We are in our 70's and we still ride a supercharged jetski in addition to our boats. Maybe not like we stole it but we ain't slouches either.

In recent years I have spent a lot more than 15K, the reason being that I don't want to EVER wear it out. I'm to old to fiddle any more. It has to go vroom a second after I hit the key.

Having said that some of my funnest days are putting around on a 69 year old Evinrude Big Twin. Smokes like heck and so noisy you can't hear your shipmate, but then again when I simply HAVE to go fishing or on vacation, she stays home.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
There was an outboard motor with a similar concept back in the late 1930's.----A " Clarke Troller "----Piston / crank / block were under water.----No need for driveshaft , water pump or gears.----Very light weight .---A collector item today.
An interesting concept, and certainly more valuable to collectors today than it was back during it's 2 year run. At the time it was simply too small to interest the masses, because higher HP models were available.