Thinking of removing brakes - double axle with 19 Cape Horn

big_chief

Seaman
Ive got a 19 Cape Horn on a double axle aluminum trailer. Frame is in great shape but front axle (with brakes) is in rough shape. Ive battled the brakes for years (salt water). Currently the drums/pads are shot and spindles need work. Even the hitch resovoir is rusty/rough. Buddies say just ditch the brakes and go to a standard axle. Im thinking of just getting a new axle, hubs, etc... without brakes. Bad idea?

Im in FL... I dont think im breaking any laws with a 19 footer on a double axle? Boat is less than 3000...

The brakes are hydraulic.. If I ditch them, I assume I can leave the tongue in tact and just drain and cap the lines?

I tow within 2-10 miles mostly. 1-2 times a year about 50-100 miles to the Keys.

Thanks for any insights.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Thinking of removing brakes - double axle with 19 Cape Horn

thats to dumb to answer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

With the boat, trailer, gas, gear...you are way over 3500 lbs.

Fix the brakes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

fix the brakes. then maintain the brakes.

new galvanized backing plates with shoes are under $50 per side. most couplers can be found for about $200 and new copper-nickle brake line (never rusts) is only $55

your looking at $355 to be legal and safe.

big_chief

Seaman

Ha, I figured it might be a dumb question... Thats why I asked before I did it. Just wanted to get some more insight. Some people seem to actually remove them... I figured they were on there for a reason, hence asking the question.

Im headed to the trailer depot this weekend. Thanks

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If you were in any place BUT florida, I might say go ahead. (although your weight estimates are way off, you are above 3000#...) Florida has... lets just call it an abundance of 'well experienced' people. Ok, I'm being nice. There are lots of old people there who don't belong on the road! They tend to do things like pull out in front of you, drive really slow, or stop suddenly. All of those will make you wish you had trailer brakes.

(Driven in most of the states in the nation, Florida wasn't the worst by far but it was the most frustrating! Made the drive from Miami to the keys a couple of times last year, those very limited passing zones were godsends!)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member

^ +1

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You may be required in Fl to have brakes on all wheels if you are over 3000#.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Even if the boat were less than 3000, the trailer for a 19 footer, especially a twin axle, will be 1000. It is the gross weight (boat and trailer) that requires brakes, not the boat weight. Think about it: The tow vehicle brakes are not just stopping the vehicle and the boat, they are stopping the trailer too! Thus: Over 3000 pounds gross, and that includes gas, cooler, porta-potty, etc., requires brakes on the trailer

Last edited:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Fix the brakes. Could save your life down the road.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

In any case, a tandem trailer with a 19' boat ready for splash down is not under 3000#. Trailer is going to be very close to 1000# by itself, if not more. The OP's boat is 2200#, the engine is 500#. That isn't including any accessories/gas/batteries. Adding those up, at a MINIMUM, the weight going down the road is 3700#! That boat also has an 80 gallon fuel tank (500#), and most likely dual batteries (100# give or take)

Long story short, that rig is at least 4300#, with no fishing or safety gear. Even without the trailer, it is over 3000#

(Boat weight - http://www.vabeachboats.com/products.html)
(engine weight - http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/VMAX-SHO-VF150/specifications )

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member

agreed. back to my first post of fix the brakes, then maintain the brakes.

brake systems on trailers need to be flushed periodically (annually to every 2 years - depending on which manufacture's literature that you read). Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and will absorb moisture thru the actuator breather and anywhere else that it can pull moisture.

added moisture not only decreases boiling temperature, lowering braking effectiveness, it introduces corrosion.

UncleWillie

Captain

There is a catch in section 3.a.1 of the Statute.

(3) BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.?Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except: (a) Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds, provided that: 1. The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers;

A typical Half Ton Pickup has a gross weight of ~5000 lbs. 40% of 5000 is 2000. Brakes required at 2000 lbs!
Unless the tow vehicle weighs more than #7500, you will require brakes before you reach the #3000 mark.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

One trip to the keys without trailer brakes and you'll be buying trailer brakes for safety and brakes for the truck too.

We don't know what your TV is, but a 1/2 ton or less will run thru a fair~good set of front pads/rotors after a 200+ mile trip to the Keys with your boat/trailer without trailer brakes. "penny wise pound foolish"

huts

Last edited:

big_chief

Seaman

Wanted to start by saying.. thanks for all the feedback. I'm keeping the brakes.. When I started the thread, I forgot about the trailer weight itself, etc... makes total sense to keep them.

My saga continues... I checked the hitch/resovoir today and found "cake" instead of "fluid". Is this salvagable? The bottom shock is also pretty rusted. I added some pics of the brake hub also... you can see why this started all my questions. My assumption is that the inside brakes are also rusted to hell. As I'm digging more into it, I even wondering if any of the brakes have even been working? I'll have time to pull the hub this weekend... will post more then.

Keep in mind (I realize this all looks bad, that why I'm fixing it), I've only had the boat about a year and only trailer about 1-2 miles to my ramp. Previous owner did the same, but took it too the keys about 1-2 times a year... last trip over a year ago. This is why I never looked into it... I realize maintaince now. This is adding up quick...

Here's my new question... I know I can get new brake assemblies and new hubs... my lines "look" new (I think he replaced them at one point) but I'm wondering if there is "cake" fluid in there also. The hitch resonavior is pretty shot... Is replacing the entire system with hydraulic practical? Or can/should it be swapped to electric? Its going to have brakes... whats the recommended route at this point?

BTW: I stopped by local trailer store... I think the counter guy was just a fill in... was of no use for questions. Im going back on the weekend, assuming they will have someone knowledgable there (I already asked... he will be off).

Again, thanks for all the insights.

trailer1.jpg
trailer2.jpg
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg

big_chief

Seaman

Alittle more info... I know some might be thinking, get a new trailer... the frame is still in great shape. Aluminium. Didnt seem to make sense spending over $3K on a new one... even though this is adding up over $1K in repairs. My issues are with suspension only. And at this point... I'll never consider a used trailer.

Truck is 04, 1500 Ram 5.7L Hemi. Tows boat with no issues.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I went to electric w mine.... I'm freshwater and very happy with them