thinking of purchasing 1990 sea ray bowrider - what am i getting into?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: thinking of purchasing 1990 sea ray bowrider - what am i getting into?

Well...i went ahead and pulled the trigger. According to the mechanic, the 135 hp merc had been more or less completely rebuilt. Also new impeller.

The boat started on the first crank in the dealer parking lot, and then again when I put it in the lake. It was free of soft spots (nothing spongy, one spot between the windows in the center of the boat a little "bouncy"). Transom was solid.

So i took the plunge - paid $2750 including sales tax and registration for the trailer and boat. Trailered back from Orlando to Indian Harbour with no issues.

I do have a couple of questions though (I'm sure I'll have many more as I go). First - the boat will not start when the motor is trimmed all the way up. When the motor is trimmed down, it starts on the first crank. is this typical for a 2 stroke OB with carburetor?
perfectly normal PLUS you shouldn't be TRYING to start it when tilted up
Second - the boat will be stored on a lift at my house (no roof over the lift). Do i need to pull the drain plug if I'm going to cover it with a polyester or acrylic cover? Its hard enough to get the "ears" on to flush it (i'm running in salt water), but getting the drain plug in and out while its on the lift is damn near impossible. Thoughts?

Can you get the plug in and out from the INSIDE of the hull?
you can leave a plug in... bilge pump with auto switch should be on the boat anyhow.

congrats and welcome ye land lubber to the sea.....n stuff

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Pull the plug and put it in while the boat is on the trailer . . . .

You should have it pulled when the boat is in storage.

he just said the boat would be on a lift.... as in over water

rose_surfer

Cadet

Right - its on a lift on my dock. seems like with almost a hundred years of power boating someone would have come up with a better solution for a drain plug thats more accessible somehow when on a lift.

only reason i was trying to start it trimmed up is because, once again, on the lift, trimmed all the way up is the only way i can reach to put the ears on to flush the motor.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

When the motor is tilted up the carburator floats are not properly metering fuel. A automatic bilge pump may be easier than pulling the plug. The less water siting in the hull the longer the deck and stringers will last. I recomend an acrylic top with the inside coated like sunbrella plus or a polyester material like top noch for your storage cover. make sure to use proper vents like boat vent II posts.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Right - its on a lift on my dock. seems like with almost a hundred years of power boating someone would have come up with a better solution for a drain plug thats more accessible somehow when on a lift.

only reason i was trying to start it trimmed up is because, once again, on the lift, trimmed all the way up is the only way i can reach to put the ears on to flush the motor.

there are several options... from self bailing plugs to plugs in other locations than the transom...

how about a walk plank that you can lay across the dock and lift behind the boat?

Last there's THIS

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

698e5df54d2b9a64886706974a7b9c96.jpg

d56d45f429441cde2c6094e2557ae264.jpg

Remote Drain Plug System - YouTube

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Well...i went ahead and pulled the trigger. According to the mechanic, the 135 hp merc had been more or less completely rebuilt. Also new impeller.

The boat started on the first crank in the dealer parking lot, and then again when I put it in the lake. It was free of soft spots (nothing spongy, one spot between the windows in the center of the boat a little "bouncy"). Transom was solid.

So i took the plunge - paid $2750 including sales tax and registration for the trailer and boat. Trailered back from Orlando to Indian Harbour with no issues.

I do have a couple of questions though (I'm sure I'll have many more as I go). First - the boat will not start when the motor is trimmed all the way up. When the motor is trimmed down, it starts on the first crank. is this typical for a 2 stroke OB with carburetor?

Second - the boat will be stored on a lift at my house (no roof over the lift). Do i need to pull the drain plug if I'm going to cover it with a polyester or acrylic cover? Its hard enough to get the "ears" on to flush it (i'm running in salt water), but getting the drain plug in and out while its on the lift is damn near impossible. Thoughts?

Firstly, congratulations on the buy! No outboard motor with a carb will start in the upright position. They're not designed to. It would be best if you could pull the drain plug when you put the boat up on the lift. Nothing good can come from leaving water in the bilge. If you have to leave it in make sure your bilge pump is working as any rain storms you might have build up water fast and can overload your boat hoist.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

In my opinion a boat that old is getting to the point where you might spend more time working on it than using it. If you don't mind tinkering and have the time then go for it. If you hope to jump in it with the family on a free weekend and go I suspect it will be a frustrating experience.
Do you have any idea how the boat was cared for, winterized, maintained, stored, used, etc? A used boat is always a gamble, the older they are, the bigger the gamble. What engine does it have? Please don't say OMC.

My last boat was a 86 Sea Ray 210MC - 5.7/Alpha 1 - We would not hesitate to take that boat anywhere - If a boat is maintained it does not matter if it's 30 years old or 3 - You got a good deal from what you are telling us - Enjoy.

LK

southkogs

Staff member

Congratulations on the buy! So, where are the pictures ... winter, shminter ;)

rose_surfer

Cadet

there are several options... from self bailing plugs to plugs in other locations than the transom...

how about a walk plank that you can lay across the dock and lift behind the boat?

Last there's THIS

That remote plug looks pretty cool. I also thought about a walk plank that I could lay across between the two piers of my dock. Slight problem in that the two sides aren't quite the same height, but that would be easy to deal with. Anyone you know of that sells an aluminum hinged plank for such an application? I'd think steel or wood would be too heavy.

Here are a couple of pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/105656...authkey=Gv1sRgCOvxv4eowKPh5gE&feat=directlink

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

That remote plug looks pretty cool. I also thought about a walk plank that I could lay across between the two piers of my dock. Slight problem in that the two sides aren't quite the same height, but that would be easy to deal with. Anyone you know of that sells an aluminum hinged plank for such an application? I'd think steel or wood would be too heavy.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105656...authkey=Gv1sRgCOvxv4eowKPh5gE&feat=directlink

Why not the remote drain plug?

LK

rose_surfer

Cadet

Why not the remote drain plug?

LK

The remote plug would be cool...but I think I'd rather put the $100+ towards an aluminum walk plank, because then i'd have access to the engine and the rest of the transom as well. It'd make flushing the engine a lot easier - which is currently an exercise in acrobatics.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd drill the inside of that transom down low to make sure it was good, and see if I could lift any of the carpet around the edges to see if the decking was tabbed to the hull and just to make sure the carpet was stuck good.

one spot between the windows in the center of the boat a little "bouncy").
Keep a close eye on this spot, and check it frequently.

If that boat has problems, you'll find out soon enough... water coming in through the transom, decking getting soft...

Keeping that bilge plug pulled is you best bet, pull it after every outing to make sure your boat isn't taking on water.

MikeM8560

Seaman Apprentice

1) It do some age related maintenance, (bellows,

its is a ob

if she runs good get it and have a great time with the family

MikeM8560

Seaman Apprentice

the boat will be stored on a lift at my house (no roof over the lift). Do i need to pull the drain plug if I'm going to cover it with a polyester or acrylic cover? Its hard enough to get the "ears" on to flush it (i'm running in salt water), but getting the drain plug in and out while its on the lift is damn near impossible. Thoughts?

Y seacraft is on a lift I raise the motor install the ears and lower and start to flush it . as fas as the drain I leave it in the batteries have a maintenance charger so any water that does get in the bildge pumps out the Larson comes out on davits so I do pull the plug as its easy

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

WOW! That boat looks to be in incredible shape for $3k. Congratulations again. It looks like you got a fantastic deal. One thing I would strongly recommend though, put a piece of soft rubber or thick cloth on the front metal railing where the bow makes contact with the lift. Without it you will eventually (probably sooner than later) crunch the bow and the boat is way to pretty for that. Call iboats to order it and just describe where on the lift you want it. They should know exactly what I'm talking about. Again, best of luck with it and enjoy!!!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

WOW! That boat looks to be in incredible shape for $3k. Congratulations again. It looks like you got a fantastic deal. One thing I would strongly recommend though, put a piece of soft rubber or thick cloth on the front metal railing where the bow makes contact with the lift. Without it you will eventually (probably sooner than later) crunch the bow and the boat is way to pretty for that. Call iboats to order it and just describe where on the lift you want it. They should know exactly what I'm talking about. Again, best of luck with it and enjoy!!!

Friscoboater

Captain

Nice looking boat! I would love to have a hose right on the water with a lift.