Thinking of getting salty

Cowboy119

Recruit
I have a 2011 Tahoe Q7i with a Mercruiser 5.0TKS and Alpha 1 drive. I have a wild idea to take it down to Florida to spend some time on the water. Yes I realize i don’t have a blue water boat, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to better prep my boat to for the salt? I plan on installing all new anodes, anything else I can do? Should I be concerned about one week of use in salt water? Concerns about leaving it the water the whole time, or should I pull it out and flush it everyday? Thanks in advance for any opinions you want to share. Also, I’m looking at going to the Miami area, any must see places on the water? Boca Chita, sand bars, restaurants, and marina recommendations? I’m also open to cruising up the ICW. Obviously I don’t have a typical Great loop boat, but I’ll run what I brung. Haha.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Make certain to check the states you are driving thru their boat transportation laws make certain all plugs are removed and zero water in the bilge.

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would be risky enough to take that into open water but think I best
warn you about water over the bow and risk.
I believe there are "bow covers" but none the less water is heavy and snaps may not keep the cover in place.
I don't know your experience or ability to maneuver thru waves but you need to be on your toes.

There, warnings made. There are many somewhat protected areas in Fla and plenty of water to use.
tahoe.jpg

Cowboy119

Recruit
I would be risky enough to take that into open water but think I best
warn you about water over the bow and risk.
I believe there are "bow covers" but none the less water is heavy and snaps may not keep the cover in place.
I don't know your experience or ability to maneuver thru waves but you need to be on your toes.

There, warnings made. There are many somewhat protected areas in Fla and plenty of water to use.
View attachment 332613
Yeah I was only planning on going into open ocean if the condition were appropriate. I’ve watched enough YouTube of haulover inlet to know my boat wouldn’t handle well in even small swells. Haha. Ps. Double check the bilge pump works. Lol

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class
as far as keeping it in the water?
like you mentioned proper saltwater anodes.
As long as the gelcoat is good there should be no issues for a week or 4.
raw water flushing with a hose is a good idea.
hope you have a great time.

tpenfield

Staff member
Barnacles will start to attach to the hull within the first day on the water, so it may be best to pull the boat out after each day.

Aluminum anodes for the outdrive. . .

Flush the engine if you like.

The trailer will show signs of rust afterwards, so be ready to address all that.

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought seawater requires zinc anodes where fresh is aluminum?

As long as you use the boat to keep growth low, I don't see any reason to pull the boat out of the water.

skuhleman

Seaman
Man I been thinking about bringing my bass boat down to run in the bays while I'm out if town on work. But have always worried about running saltwater. I do have a galvanized trailer though.

I was under the impression you want to flush the engine and wash the boat down with fresh water daily.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
coming to live or coming to visit

if coming to visit, get a container of neutra-salt and flush your motor out after each dunk and rinse out the trailer with the neutra-salt

if coming to live, install a HX

skuhleman

Seaman
coming to live or coming to visit

if coming to visit, get a container of neutra-salt and flush your motor out after each dunk and rinse out the trailer with the neutra-salt

if coming to live, install a HX
Na I come to Houston about 6 months out of the year for work. Houston area, corpus, Louisiana. So just to visit. And its an outboard merc

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Being an outboard, just run it, and flush with neutra salt when you pull it out

shrew

Lieutenant
I've owned two boats that each lived in saltwater 6 months a year, for over 20 years. As soon as the boat is pulled, hook it up to muffs and run it on a garden hose until the thermostat opens, then let it run for a while to flush it and you'll be fine.

Don't let 'Haulover Inlet' videos scare you off. We take 19 foot center consoles out all the time. Heck we've taken our 8' 6" Zodiac outside of the breakwalls. Watch marine forecasts, focus on sea state and pick your days.