Things You Didn't Know

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.<br /><br />A snail can sleep for three years.<br /><br />All polar bears are left handed.<br /><br />American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by<br /> eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.<br /><br />Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every<br /> day.<br /><br />An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.<br /> (Kinda gives new meaning to the term bird brain, doesn't it?)<br /><br />Babies are born without knee caps. They don't<br /> appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.<br /><br />Butterflies taste with their feet<br /><br />Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, dogs<br /> only have about 10.<br /><br />Cats urine glows under a black light.<br /><br />China has more English speakers than the United<br /> States.<br /><br />Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland<br /> because he doesn't wear any pants.<br /><br />Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.<br /><br />February 1865 is the only month in recorded<br /> history not to have a full moon.<br /><br />Humans and dolphins are the only species that<br /> have sex for pleasure.<br /><br />"I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the<br /> English language.<br /><br />If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would<br /> be 39-23-33. She would stand 7' 2" tall and have a neck twice<br /> the length of a normal human's neck.<br /><br />If the population of China walked past you in<br /> single file, the line would never end because of the rate of<br />reproduction. <br /><br />If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days,<br /> you will have produced enough sound energy to heat one<br /> cup of coffee.<br /><br />In ancient Egypt, priests plucked EVERY hair<br /> from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.<br /><br />In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been<br />domesticated.<br /><br />Leonardo da Vinci invented the scissors.<br /><br />Marilyn Monroe had six toes.<br /><br />Michael Jordan has more money from Nike annually<br /> than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia<br /> combined.<br /><br />No word in the English language rhymes with<br /> month.<br /><br />Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected<br /> intravenously.<br /><br />On average, people fear spiders more than they<br /> do death.<br /><br />One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today is<br /> because cotton growers in the 1930's lobbied against<br /> hemp farmers - they saw it as competition.<br /><br />Our eyes are always the same size from birth,<br /> but our nose and ears never stop growing.<br /><br />Right-handed people live, on average, nine years<br /> longer than left-handed people do.<br /><br />Shakespeare invented the word 'assassination'<br /> and 'bump'.<br /><br />Some lions mate over 50 times a day.<br /><br />Starfish haven't got brains.<br /><br />Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only<br /> the left hand.<br /><br />The ant always falls over on its right side when<br />intoxicated.<br /><br />The average human eats eight spiders in their<br /> lifetime at night. (In this case I HOPE I am not average!)<br /><br />The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds.<br /><br />The cruise liner, Queen Elizabeth 2, moves only<br /> six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.<br /><br />The electric chair was invented by a dentist.<br /><br />The human heart creates enough pressure when it<br /> pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.<br /><br />The male praying mantis cannot copulate while<br /> its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex<br /> by ripping the male's head off.<br /><br />The most common name in the world is Mohammed.<br /><br />The name of all the continents end with the same<br /> letter that they start with.<br /><br />The name Wendy was made up for the book 'Peter<br /> Pan'.<br /><br />The Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, has twice<br /> as many bathrooms as necessary. When it was built in the<br /> 1940's, the state of Virginia still had segregation laws<br /> requiring separate toilet facilities for blacks and<br /> whites.<br /><br /><br />The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.<br /><br />The word race car and kayak are the same whether<br /> they are read left to right or right to left.<br /><br />There are two credit cards for every person in<br /> the United States.<br /><br />TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made<br /> using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.<br /><br />Women blink nearly twice as much as men.<br /><br />You are more likely to be killed by a Champagne<br /> cork than by<br />a poisonous spider.<br /><br />You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Things You Didn't Know

I knew some of them. Ummm, well, at least a couple.

aspeck

Staff member

Don't tell me - I don't want to know, cause once I know you will have to change the name of the thread! ;)

NOSLEEP

Commander

Nice.<br />If I knew only two things. I would have to forget<br />them to know nothing. :D

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

and "I do" turns into the longest sentence :( :D :D

oddjob

Commander

All polar bears are left handed?....Pa_leeeeeeeease...

rwise

Captain

Originally posted by Stan_Deezy:<br /> and "I do" turns into the longest sentence :( :D :D
Ya mine was 24 years! :D But I was released last year,,,,, :rolleyes: :cool: ;) :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool list. A couple of comments/questions<br /><br />
Originally posted by Fireship1:<br /> Marilyn Monroe had six toes.
I still wouldn't kick her out for eatin' crackers. Can I assume on one foot?<br /><br />
Originally posted by Fireship1:<br /> Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected<br /> intravenously.
Who tried that? I would say Ozzy or Keith Richards, but both of them are still alive. :confused: :D

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Polar bears are not left handed, but they do vote the Democratic ticket. The one at the zoo waves with his right hand...........

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

So if Polar bears are left handed then in their brain they are all right....

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by QC: Who tried that? I would say Ozzy or Keith Richards, but both of them are still alive.
I wonder how they came up with this fact also. Guess we'll have to take their word for it! ;)