They're dropping like flys

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
Prolific Actor Darren McGavin Dies at 83<br />Feb 26, 1:02 PM EST<br /><br />Associated Press<br /><br />Darren McGavin was painting a movie set in 1945 when he learned of an opening for a small role in the show, climbed off his ladder, and returned through Columbia's front gates to land the part.<br /><br />The husky, tough-talking performer went on to become one of the busiest actors in television and film, starring in five TV series, including "Mike Hammer," and endearing holiday audiences with his role as the grouchy dad in the 1983 comedy classic "A Christmas Story."<br /><br />McGavin, 83, died Saturday of natural causes at a Los Angeles-area hospital with his family at his side, said his son Bogart McGavin.<br /><br />McGavin also had leading roles in TV's "Riverboat" and cult favorite "Kolchak: The Night Stalker." Among his memorable portrayals was Gen. George Patton in the 1979 TV biography "Ike."<br /><br />Despite his busy career in television, McGavin was awarded only one Emmy: in 1990 for an appearance as Candice Bergen's opinionated father in an episode of "Murphy Brown."<br /><br />He lacked the prominence in films he enjoyed in television, but he registered strongly in featured roles such as the young artist in Venice in "Summertime," David Lean's 1955 film with Katharine Hepburn and Rosanno Brazzi; Frank Sinatra's crafty drug supplier in "The Man with the Golden Arm" (1955); Jerry Lewis' parole officer in "The Delicate Delinquent" (1957); and the gambler in 1984's "The Natural." He also starred alongside Don Knotts, who died Friday night, in the 1976 family comedy "No Deposit, No Return."<br /><br />Throughout his television career, McGavin gained a reputation as a curmudgeon willing to bad-mouth his series and combat studio bosses.<br /><br />McGavin starred in the private eye series "Mike Hammer" in the 1950s. In 1968 he told a reporter: "Hammer was a dummy. I made 72 of those shows, and I thought it was a comedy. In fact, I played it camp. He was the kind of guy who would've waved the flag for George Wallace."<br /><br />Born in Spokane, Wash., McGavin was sketchy in interviews about his childhood.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: They're dropping like flys

Yea JG, they are. Making me feel old here now.<br />They need to quit that crap.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I remember him best as Mr. Parker, the father in Christmas Story. He'll also be missed.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not Christmas season until I've watched; A Christmas Story. <br /><br />I remember how my Dad felt as those he grew up with were passing on -- now I'm in that boat. Seems like too many are going to quick. As woody Allen said: "Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes".

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

:( :(

Boatwizard

Seaman

Dennis Weaver died today the 27th. I have almost no favorite actors left.

ehenry

Commander

Posted about Dennis Weaver before I read BoatWizards post.