they dont make them like this anymore

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: they dont make them like this anymore

do you have a pic of your 57 javelin boatbouy??

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Couldn't help but notice the stern picture of the Javelin that was said to be turned to total S.... by the owner painting it gray in this series of threads and pictures.

Problem of the day in my opinion. Notice how low the antivent plate is with respect to the bottom of the boat.....if you consider you aren't looking parallel to the bottom, the plate is actually lower than it looks. Part of that problem was the result of the way OMC picked up their water.

Can't imagine what those engines would have done had they been properly mounted with respect to the planing surface of the boat.....something Merc had no problem with as their water pickup was much lower.

Mark

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

do you have a pic of your 57 javelin boatbouy??

Heh, heh, you're gonna love this. Believe it or not, it looks better right now than my '56 Javelin did at this point. You'll also notice it has a Sea Horse powerhead. Had to replace the original, scored cylinder wall when I got it.

000_0020.jpg

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's some remarkably nice work, Bravo for keeping such a pretty piece of machinery the way it should be.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

going to look at a 1956 30 hp tomorrow.fellow says it wine and white.(burgandy and white).johnson?? has controls but right now is manual start.says it darn takes 2 hands and a foot to start.has the pressure tank also.little pricey though i think? 300???will take a comp tester with me though it sounds like its got plenty. good motors?or bad or average?ive seen them green is burgandy a javelin or nothing special?thanks for any replys im wanting to do a antique motor then a wood boat to go with it.boatboy i seen your on here thats why im asking my be you can answer my questions keeping in mind i live miles from anyother town of size .toronto 440 detriot 360.

wbeaton

Commander

Johnson's were green until 1955. In 1956 they became Holiday Bronze (burgandy) and Cream (white). There were two Johnson 30 hp motors in 1956. The standard issue model RD/RDE-18 and the upper trim level "Javelin" model RJE-18. If it has the chrome pieces and says Javelin like Boatbouy's motor its a Javelin. If it doesn't then its just a normal 30 hp. They are good motors. If it looks ok and runs then $300 isn't too much, however I wouldn't pay that much if the electric start isn't working. If its a Javelin it'll be worth a little more. Also, if its not electric start its not a Javelin.

Nice job on the Javelin, Boatbouy. Hope mine looks that good someday.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for the info ,it had electric start till the previous owner took it off for another motor.like 2 owners ago ,lol.it really doesnt have to be a javilen,its just a dream right now but i really want to make a classic boat(wood).might even build it myself if possible.a friend of mine went to school for classic boat building so i will talk to him also.

wbeaton

Commander

The regular 1956 Johnson looks great too.

You will want the electric start for that motor and it may be difficult to find those parts. The 1956 had a 6V starter and choke solenoid. If it was me I wouldn't pay that much for it considering what it needs. If you are serious about getting a classic Big Twin then also check the Antique Outboard Club Maple Leaf Chapter website. There is a classified section there that probably has a few nice ones at a reasonable price.

http://www.mapleleafchapter.org/

There is also a club meet in Sudbury in a week or two. I suspect there will be a bit of a swap meet as well.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks again will look at it then see ,will offer less if applicable.sudbury is out of the question as im working so to go there for a day or 2 would cost 600 plus the cost of any motor.if its junk i will walk and keep looking.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

They were green up until '55, I had an RDE17 which was a 1955 Sea Horse 25. In '56 they went to burgandy and white. Now in '57 I know they built that Javelin in gold (I parted a seized, corroded one years ago but still have the Johnson script in chrome) but do not know if that same mill was offered in another color.

I have a bud in MN that has a running '57-'58 Evvy lark with all the chrome I think he wants to get rid of, does not have the pontoon he ran it on anymore.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

In '57 Johnson made a 35 hp Sea Horse that was Holiday Bronze with cream trim. It came in both manual and elec. start. They also made the Javelin in Harvest Gold and cream and elec. start only. It was the same as the elec. Sea Horse but with a different the paint scheme and different badging on the cowl.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Great restoration job. Truly a piece of art !!!!

Pony

Rear Admiral

Heres an ok shot of my 62' rude restoration that I finished last winter.

boatmirrocraft0059hk.jpg

picture009im2.jpg

Here it is after I rebuilt the inside. Complete disassemply cleaning and reassembly.....new water pump, points, gaskets, t-stat......etc

DressedPowerhead2%20(Small).JPG

Here is a shot of my next restoration project. Its a 64' 18hp rude.

picture013tm7.jpg

I saw this at a garage sale, but didnt buy it. He was asking $300 and it needed a new water pump. I will wait till his next yard sale and start negotiating....

062206130312cx.jpg

wbeaton

Commander

Nice Motors. You did a great job.

If that 1956 Johnson 10 hp is original and has new coils I'd say $300 might not be too far off. It sure looks nice and clean in the photo. Of course, I always use the old "I'll have to put $150 into ignition, water pump and carb..." when I start my negotiations!

Pony

Rear Admiral

Thats a good way to start em. I am hoping he has another yard sale soon. It is nice and clean. He is the original owner of it and has a lot of pride in it. Not always easy to negotiated with that. It was nice to sit and talk fishing with him for awhile. I never really negotiated for it because at the time I was still knee deep in that rude...............the next time I see that johnnie it might be a different story :)