Thermostat removal

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went to remove my thermostat from a 1983 Mercruiser 305/5L MCM228R (serial#6275628) and it did not want to pop out. I noticed there is a sleeve on top of the thermostat which seems to be rusted into the thermostat housing. Do I need to just pry out this sleeve before the thermostat will pop out?

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thermostat removal

Does the sleeve look kind of like this?

before.jpg

If so, gently pry out the sleeve to get to the thermostat.

agallant80

Commander

Unrelated word of advice. Use the proper merc gasket when putting back together. There are grounding studs in it that your temp sensor needs to read properly. I used the auto parts version which does not have those studs and guess what happened..... :)

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the speedy response and the warning. It does look like your picture so I went and pried out the sleeve (destroyed it in the process). The thermostat is out.

oldjeep

Admiral

For future use, I generally grab the top of the thermostat with a vice grips and pull it out so that the sleeve doesn't get all hacked up from prying. Your local marine store should ahve a replacement for you in stock.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have noticed you can get a plastic sleeve for a replacement instead of metal, but with heat and everything else its a trade off either way you go.

$T2eC16F,!y0E9s2S5WbIBRPigp0U!g~~60_35.JPG

oldjeep

Admiral

I have noticed you can get a plastic sleeve for a replacement instead of metal, but with heat and everything else its a trade off either way you go.

They come stock with the plastic ones in the newer engines