Thermostat removal

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice
Is anybody else stuck hi & dry this weekend?? :) What problems might be associated with running an engine with the thermostat removed?? Thanks.....Ken

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Thermostat removal

I am aground this weekend,werkin on the nephew's bass rig...Lotsa woodwerk :( <br />I got the engine running,and we were gonna put in,and try it out.But the ramps are crazy places. <br /> :rolleyes: <br /> I took a dry run over to the closest ramp, and there were no trailer spaces open. And the good ol FMP was right off the downward rim, boarding every other boat. Didn't wanna deal with all that,so here I sit..<br /> Don't run without a tstat. They are important to the way water is circulated through the engine. If certain areas run cooler than they are suposed to, it can crack blocks, warp plates,and still, overheat or overcool. As it was stated on this very forum some months back, (And it makes good sense), if our engines didn't require thermostats, the manufactures would've left them out,saving the money.<br />They are very cheap (9-12 bukz), and available all over.<br />BTW, what kinda motor do u run?

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice

Your answer makes good sense, Thanks. I have a yamaha 130 hp. One side runs hot and sets off a sensor. I replaced a gasket that separates water chambers that was eaten through, and the tstat. I ran water up the intake with the lower unit removed and still can't find out why it runs o.k. with no tstat, and heats up with it in.?? :confused:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I would suspect a water pressure problem,caused by heat exchanger blockage (exaust port blockage on some outboards), or impeller not pumping the proper pressure.<br />Tstats should open at a set temp, but they also restrict full flow allways. If the pump wont provide enough pressure, the temp it opens at is irrelavant. And the water it pumps must be able to be discharged at the same time. A pressure gauge should tell the story.