Thermostat?? no water

fireman57

Captain
Re: Thermostat?? no water

OBJ or another expert will be along shortly but your gasket doesn't look that bad to my poor eyes in the photo. You might want to use a cleaner to get the crud out of the ports so the water flows more freely. If your gasket is good then you might need to go a little deeper to determine where the water is getting in. Possibly a cracked block but I hope not. Like I said, someone with more experience than me will weigh in here.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

Was talking to a guy at a boat spares place today.<br />Yes i dont think the gasket is bad, but the tell tale isnt flowing.<br />i have cleaned most of the crud out, and have new gaskets and will put them on tomorrow. could be just blocked, expessially from that sticky goo from the gasket.<br /><br />The bores look in very good cond, no sign its been overheated so obviously the pump is working, ive given it a fair bit of a run and if there was cooling problems it would be stuffed by now.<br /><br />Another thing he said is no water flow might be the grommet where the copper pipe joins the powerhead near the exhaust tuner. I tested this by putting water up the pipe, it came out near exhaust water galleries. Holding finger over the pipe with water in it there was no signs of leaking. And again if this was the case im sure the motor would have overheated by now.<br /><br />Im going to put the head and exhaust covers back on tomorrow and give it a run in the water.<br /><br />Any other suggestions?

fireman57

Captain

Yeah, don't overheat it. On your maiden voyage make sure that your overheat alarm works and you have someone put their finger on the head often and see if they can hold it there for a good three count. If they can't you are running too hot.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

The only overheat alarm will be me swearing when it stops :) .<br /><br />can you get alarms that will suit any motors? as it doesnt have one

fireman57

Captain

If it doesn't have one then the three count finger test if the best you will do on the water unless you add a temp gauge and put a plug in the water passage in the block with a sensor in it. I don't think that it is worth the hassle as you should feel the engine slowing if it is overheating and shut it off the second you suspect something. According to your pictures you have a water leak somewhere to have half of your engine that clean. Check all water passages and if you have deflector shields in the exhaust make sure they are not bent or torn up. Since you had the head off you should be putting a new gasket on it anyway.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

OK head and exhaust back on, out to the ocean<br /> :) <br /><br />A TELL TALE horay, ran great, nice strong **** stream all going as should.<br /><br />thanks guys for the help, OBJ without you mentioning the tell tale i would have never known it was meant to be going, or that it existed cheers.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sorry I didn't get back to your post grantrs. Sounds like firemans steered ya' right though.<br /><br />The only other things I would have suggested to you would have been to check the head for warpage and maybe replace the water deflectors in the head.<br /><br />Keep a close tab on her for a while and let us know how you are doing. Hope she's OK!

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

Head was ok not warped, so must have been cooled, just the crud probably blocking the tell tale. Scraped out all the salt and crap.<br /><br />yes the deflectors, guy i spoke to mentioned that too, they are all in the right spots, and not in the way of the head gasket.<br /><br />so looks to be running well, just having problems catching the fish now