Thermostat Gasket Confusion

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thermostat Gasket Confusion

P.S. Use 27-41812. I know it's more expensive, but it is the right part according to Mercury.

Not worried about expense, just wanted to verify the correct part. Thanks again.

I used the same method to find the correct part as Chris (and flabum) did. Instead of using other sites to look up parts, go directly to mercurypartsexpress.com and look up your part numbers directly from merc. They will be supperceded if necessary. Then you can buy the correct part from wherever you want.

Leave it to Don to make me feel inadequate yet again :D Thanks for that website. I can't believe I haven't come across that using Google. Thats going in the bookmarks for sure!

Thanks Don!

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

ok, I'm confused.

I just started the boat up after a long winters rest. I had replaced the thermostat before putting it away, and of course when I started it back up, the thermostat housing is leaking.

So I've taken it completely apart and used my neighbors tools to clean off ALL the old sealant that was on there - I should have made sure to get it all off originally, but I didn't.

Now I have another question.

Here is what happened:

Removed ORIGINAL thermostat (p/n = ????) in NOVEMBER along with TWO gaskets (27-41812 & 27-530451)

Now, I ordered THERMOSTAT #807252T1 and replaced the original.

Here is my confusion, the THERMOSTAT that I put in (#807252T1), doesn't look like the thermostat that came out. Should I be concerned??

P.S.
My engine serial # is below and I have the "OLD Design". I tried using MERCURYPARTSEXPRESS.COM, and I cannot figure out how to search for parts and things on there. So I used MERCRUISERPARTS.COM to find the part numbers.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

A lil' help?

I know I'm reviving an old post, but I didn't want to have to rehash this information. :)

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

ADDITIONAL QUESTION:

I have some PERMATEXT gasket seal, can I use that on the gaskets instead of PERMASEAL?

Or is there a better gasket sealer I can pickup for thermostat gaskets at the local auto parts store?