The worst joke OMC ever provided...

piniongear

Seaman
Thinking back over a discussion I had the other day: I bought a new Evinrude 140HP in 1978. When I had my first dead battery (from running the baitwell too long) I uncoiled that little 18 inch long pull rope that came with the engine in a little pouch under the cowl. It would go around the flywheel about 1 1/2 turns. I could not pull it through, so my buddy who was 275 lbs gave it a try. Impossible.<br /> Question: Has anyone out there ever started a 140 (or even a 115) with a pull rope? If so, tell me about it please.

ob

Admiral
Re: The worst joke OMC ever provided...

I'm still praying that I never have to use the one for my 70 horse. :)

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey its amazing what you can do if you have to!1 once pull started a 115 in line 6 with heavy fishing line, nearly killed me but saved a very looong swim/tow home

noelm

hehe just thinking about that trip, the guy I was with came up behind me to help just as I pulled like hell, elbow hit him right on the head, nearly knocked him senseless

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br /> and I have pulled a few 200 crossflows and many inline sixes its not hard if the motor is in good tune and you bring it up on a compression stroke before heaving. <br /> the part that hurts is when ya get whipped in the face with the tag end.

noelm

I can relate to that as well, I've had a few tag end whippings, best if someone else in the boat gets whipped as it takes some of pain out of being the one pulling the rope if someone else is in agony as well huh!

noelm

just a thought on the length of the genuine rope, I guess you haven't lived untill you use a few feet of rope and the motor starts when there is still some wound around the flywheel and it starts flinging around at a great rate of knots

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have rope started my 115 Evinrude. Had to do it when I sold the boat as the batteries were dead (what happens when you let the kids play in the boat). Tried it the first time when it was about 30 deg out. Even a short swim in 45 deg water is too long when the batteries are dead!

gatorboaterUF

Seaman

if ya get it on the right stroke it can be done i've never had to but i tryed it once just to see if i could in a jam

piniongear

Seaman

Thanks for the feedback guys. So, there are some who have pull started these engines. I could never get my engine to pull a complete turn thru using the rope. When the engine was brand new you had to crank it with the battery for 10 or 15 seconds to get it to fire up. Maybe it was just my engine.

alcan

Commander

It also helps if you practice a little before hand. This will let you know if you need to make adjustment in the length, size,type of rope,ETC. I agree there are times when the stock rope would seem like a joke.

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have often wondered myself what was the probability of starting my 135 if I had to. What length of cord should you be using to start these things?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The trick is (V4 or V6):<br /><br />Throttle opened just slightly. Key off. Choke on, or primer solenoid in manual position. Pump primer bulb a few times. Have cord wound only one time around flywheel. Pull engine thru three times as quickly as possible.<br /><br />Key on. Again have cord wound around flywheel just the one time. Pull hard and quickly and do not hesitate halfway thru.<br /><br />Works for me.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

These engines are a bear to start with a rope around the flywheel. Here is one way I can guarantee it will start. Grasp the prop, and twist it over with the key on.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Started a Johnny 150 a couple of times with a rope. 70s and 115s more than that.<br /><br />It's a lot more technique than brute force.

alcan

Commander

I agree with Joe about the number of wraps. My suggestion on rope lenght would be so the puller could get the most leverage, taking well,deck design into concideration. Also a larger handle may be better for some (use both hands and legs)

Walker

Captain

The rope is short because you are only going to pull the motor through one revolution. It ain't like starting a lawnmower.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I agree with joe on the key off ,three turns then key on. works everytime ,epsecially with engines that use choke butterflies and not a fuel primer. with a fuel primer I just open the primer, pump the fuel primer bulb 3 or 4 times close the primer turn on the key and pull.<br /> I have watched to many attempts at rope starting when the ign key was forgotten and left in the off position. usually I will wait until a lot of sweat has been expended before pointing it out :) :) . I have a good story on that that I should post. happened at Bob's fishing hole on the northwest river in chesapeake VA. I still chuckle when I think of it :) .

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Grasp the prop, and twist it over with the key on.
R.Johnson<br /><br />Yeah! Underwater and in gear! Great way to swim home!<br /><br />Anytime Lieutenant!

papasage

i didnt se this but was told . i know this fellow and he would do it. befor he put it in he put in gear and put his foot on the prop and kick started it. his partner backed it in the water and they went up the river. this boy swears by the statement.