The wait is over. Sharrow prop test.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Been waiting on the first test of this, perhaps some of you have too ??Thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Mmm. It seems almost unbelievable!!
but I’m confused by two things.
you’d think that set up would require more than a 15” pitch maybe ?
Im also a bit wondering about the wot and it’s rpm. I’d be amazed if all three props all ran at exactly 5850 rpm wot. I’m sure that engine maybe runs to about 6000 rpm. Need to check if it does.
wonder what the other 2 props were. The first prop looked like an enertia. The second maybe a tempest or similar ?
seems a remarkable thing at low planing rpm though.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok so merc 150 rpm range is up to 5800. So I’m presuming they were taking the wot results on the limiter. Hence the reason for the unusually low pitch for the norm on that set up. Perhaps some foul play here.
I want a test with the right pitch. Surely that should run at least a 17/19”. I’d say the test has been slightly aimed towards giving the sharrow an advantage ??

alldodge

Staff member
Might look at this tomorrow when I can listen to a 15 minute commercial. There was another (Merc) prop last year (forget which one) that was spit out as the greatest thing ever. I sent my questions to boattest and Merc but never heard back anything from them. Most always they are commercials and are set up to sell things

Most of us are told as a kid, to swim keep your fingers together, this is taking a hand and openeing the fingers, or at least that's my first thoughts

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Might look at this tomorrow when I can listen to a 15 minute commercial. There was another (Merc) prop last year (forget which one) that was spit out as the greatest thing ever. I sent my questions to boattest and Merc but never heard back anything from them. Most always they are commercials and are set up to sell things

Most of us are told as a kid, to swim keep your fingers together, this is taking a hand and openeing the fingers, or at least that's my first thoughts

Haha.
Mira a shame but the test has defo been favoured towards it. Why else would you have a 15” prop on that set up and take the results on the limiter. Shame.
my 115 CT has the same gearbox at only a slight difference in ratio. On a heavier boat too. It runs a 19” to the limiter on that at 6150 rpm. That boat should surely have a 19” on it. I’m calling it not a fair test. The low rpm planing seems good though.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
All I can say is WOW. Its nice to see a real world test on this prop. Now I wonder how much they will be and available to the masses.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All I can say is WOW. Its nice to see a real world test on this prop. Now I wonder how much they will be and available to the masses.

Says comparable to others in pricing. Soon see.
I thought it would be a real world test. This reviewer is normally pretty impartial...but I’m certain this test was tainted by using a considerabley lower pitch than would normally be on this set up. By at least 4” I’d guess. No way a 15” would be normal. Further clarified by the rpm figure at wot. 5850 is on the limiter surely. If it’s not...then equally there is no way all 3 props managed to see the exact same rpm wot as a coincidence

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It has me fascinated for sure...but adding to my doubt...if I’m right and one of those props is an enertia (sure looks like it. Very distinctive)...at that diameter and pitch...I’m suspecting it’s the enertia eco version. Love to see the test done with the right pitch and up against the top dogs like the proper enertia and tempest plus etc.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mmm. It seems almost unbelievable!!
but I’m confused by two things.
you’d think that set up would require more than a 15” pitch maybe ?

wonder what the other 2 props were. The first prop looked like an enertia. The second maybe a tempest or similar ?
seems a remarkable thing at low planing rpm though.

Depends on what Merc is using as a Gear Ratio, and the Engine's WOT Range

1) There was nothing there that looked like an Enertia. A Solas SS perhaps

2) I wonder how this Miracle Prop would fare against Merc's Higher Performing Consumer Props.
It is interesting to note the first 2 props were SS and MP was AL.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Depends on what Merc is using as a Gear Ratio, and the Engine's WOT Range

1) There was nothing there that looked like an Enertia. A Solas SS perhaps

2) I wonder how this Miracle Prop would fare against Merc's Higher Performing Consumer Props.
It is interesting to note the first 2 props were SS and MP was AL.

Max rpm on that motor is 5800 of the range.

prop 2 really really looks like an enertia or enertia eco. Go to just over 5 mins and pause when he is handling it. It’s defo a merc prop at a min and I’m sure it’s an enertia. Pause it and you’ll see.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When I saw the First prop @ 3:26 and 3:29, it didn't look like an Enertia, then @ 5:49 as it is being removed, it does look like an Enertia or a Q3. First time I watched the video, I wasn't paying attention at 5:49. But what they claimed to put on first didn't look what they removed. At 5:53 they claim to be checking Prop #2 before putting it on, but are holding what they just removed. Meanwhile as they speak.the prop they had supposedly installed first was sitting next to miracle prop. Poor editing/continuity of the video maybe. Somewhere they may have run an Enertia or Q3, or at least filmed removal and handling of it.

89retta

First prop is a Michigan wheel apollo was able to pause and get the part number

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Why are people so bent out of shape about this prop? It looks like the testing of a prototype, not production model.

cptbill

Wonder how that would hold up in salt water, might have to do a little more research to find out if all the claims a true, but if it is a prototype then there will no doubt be some changes, very interesting nonetheless

Bondo

Staff member
The Prop is interesting, but the Video is Pathetic

Ayuh,..... No longer available in the op,..... hada go to youtube to view it,..... pathetic for sure,......

Saw this below it,.......
"Comments are turned off"

Looks overly engineered, 'n would be a bytch to grind on or polish,.....
Never get it repaired, nobody would have pitch blocks for it,.....

89retta

I kinda like the fact that after all these years someone has decided to try and design a new prop. It's a lot better design then the shifting props with springs and weights

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Why are people so bent out of shape about this prop? It looks like the testing of a prototype, not production model.

It’s a real thing. Be on sale imminently.
my issue is that it’s not a test using any real good props or the right pitch for the boat.

89retta

What I liked about the test was the fact they kept the pitch , boat , motor and weight all the same. Only difference was the make of the prop.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
First prop is a Michigan wheel apollo. I paused it and saw the p/n. Second prop is definitely an enertia. A little confusing because at one point when they referred to it, they showed the Apollo.

the planing test was a bit silly. Most people rev the engine up past the target rpm and pull it back. So the planing test was totally skewed in favor of the new prop.

boattest is notorious for for running these “ultra scientific tests” that always turn up the result the test sponsor wants.