The U.S. Constitution, have you actually read it???

PW2

Commander
Re: The U.S. Constitution, have you actually read it???

Heaven forbid our sensitive little high schoolers learn a little something about a foreign culture, in school for heaven's sake.<br /><br />I recall a class in high school, and again another in college, that taught "The bible as literature". It would have been interesting had it not been overwhelmed by evangelicals.<br /><br />Comparative religion classes are certainly appropriate from a historical and current events perspective, and the kids might actually learn something, but most educators that I know don't want to field the firestorm that usually results.<br /><br />It's too bad.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Everybody seems to forget who founded America.<br /><br />It wasnt Muslims, it wasnt Buddists.<br /><br />It was Christians.<br /><br />The USA is a Christian nation.<br /><br />Why do liberals seem to want to deny that fact?<br /><br />Ken

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Ken, Christians founded the USA. It is not a Christian nation. The Constitution doesn't allow it. The majority of Americans are white. Does that make us a caucasion nation? No, America is the melting pot of the world, where no religion should be held above another. It's amazing that our founding fathers realized this over 200 years ago, yet most people today can't get a grip on it.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by alden:<br />The U.S. Constitution, have you actually read it???
Nope... and thanks for posting the link. I think it is about time to get into the percentage of people who have. Which unfortunately is not that big.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You are getting confused again.<br /><br />I didnt say you HAVE to be a Christian.<br /><br /><br />I just ask you to repect that the majority of americans are Christian, and we are a Christian nation. It has nothing to do with the constitution, it has to do with the people that make up this country.<br /><br />Ken

PW2

Commander

Ken,<br /><br />The founding fathers specifically stated in the constitution :Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;......<br /><br />Are you suggesting they didn't really mean what they said, or were they simply mistaken?

txswinner

Banned

The prayer in school issue was best addressed by daughter and about 30% of her high school. In 1987 she and 3 other girls met at the flag pool before school and said a short prayer. I think they had heard about this somewhere else. <br /><br />Within 2 months the crowd at the pole was enormous and they prayed silently for one minute then said the pledge of allegiance to the flag. Scary part was the group included whites, blacks, browns, yellows, Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindos. Possibly others.<br /><br />This was not a private school this was a 5A high school. Sometimes youth are amazing. I do not know if it is still done or not but Monday I am going to go to the school and see.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Ken,<br /><br />Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;......<br />
PW2, Maybe I'm mistaken, but I get the impression that you stop reading after the comma in the sentence.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I think many people are either forgetting, or are in complete denial, about the world we live in today.<br /><br />I see sarcastic phrases such as "As long as it's not Christianity-it's OK". The accusations are that other religions are freely promoted, yet Christianity is taboo, forbidden.<br /><br />My response is: "You're absolutely right!"<br /><br />In this country, Buddhist evangelism is not a problem in the school system. Neither is Muslim evangelism. Nor Wiccan, Hinduism, or Sihkism. Discussions can generally be conducted around these and other religions concerning their core beliefs, history, similarities and differences, and we as a society can generally trust them to remain factual and unbiased. No danger of evangalism.<br /><br />However, in this country, there is one religion that IS problematic. It seems that any discussion around this religion cannot be trusted to remain factual. It cannot be trusted to be discussed without being preached, either pro or against. Evangelism IS a problem. Can you guess which religion this is? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a "C"...<br /><br />THAT, my friends, is why Christianity is taboo. That is why we cannot discuss Christianity from a factual standpoint. We simply cannot trust the discussion to remain factual.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

this ought to be a goodun.
8.gif

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Have I read the U.S. Constitution? Why yes I have. It came in helpful when I got to teach it two years to 8th graders. Now that was fun. Not! Teaching was fun,but 8th graders are not fun. <br />Bassy