The taste of oil

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
I'm constantly hearing reference on the news to the price of "sweet crude". Is there a taster somewhere that determines whether a batch of crude is sweet or not. I'm ignorant about crude oil, so this is a serious question.

EDIT: Never mind. I should have checked Wikipedia before posting.
"The adjective sweet refers to small amounts of hydrogen sulfide and carbon dioxide; sweet crude generally contains less than 0.5% sulfur. This high quality, low sulfur crude oil is commonly used for processing into gasoline and is in high demand, particularly in the United States and China."

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: The taste of oil

"sweet" as in..."this west Texas oil's worth way more than that crap they pull outta Wyoming...sweeeeeeeet!"

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It is very difficult to process sulpher out of petroleum products. The lower the grade, like diesel, the more difficult. Sulpher in exhaust probably combines to produce numerous pollutants. One, of course, is suphuric acid. Also very hard on engines when used as motor oil.

PW2

Commander

As they say in Alaska

"Crude and unrefined"

They could be talking about oil, but more likely their girlfriend.

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually not much oil is pumped from Wyoming anymore.Natural gas is being drilled and pumped out of state more then any other resource that Wyoming has.