The Science Channel

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
The Carl Sagan series "The Cosmos" returns, i'm looking forward to see how the updates and new discoveries are edited to the 25 year old narrative.<br /><br />Are there any fans of the late Carl Sagan here at iboats?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: The Science Channel

Billions and Billions of them! :)

D

DJ

Be careful.<br /><br />Science is not always fact, especially on TV.<br /><br />Especially those two yahoo's on Mythbusters. They leave so much out of the equation(s), it's sad.<br /><br />Those guys definetely have "McGyver" status, but remember, they made themselves on getting you to believe something that never happened. Example-movies!

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

DJ, there ain't no comparison between someone like late Carl Sagan and the jokers on mythbusters.<br /><br />Whatever gave you the impression that i may not be capable of differenciating between fact and fiction?

SoulWinner

Commander

I love the late Dr. Sagan. Have all of his books. I wish I had gone up to Cornell and gotten his autogragh on Contact.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just wish that I could have gotten through at least one segment without falling asleep.<br /><br />BILLIONS AND billions a..n..d.billzzzzzzzzzzz.<br /><br />No mother's lullabuy ever put me into somnambulistic bliss like that sound track.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I just wish i still got the science channel.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

equation or no equation Mythbusters always have to blow something up... and for that alone... I am a fan.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I just wish that I could have gotten through at least one segment without falling asleep.<br /><br />BILLIONS AND billions a..n..d.billzzzzzzzzzzz.<br /><br />No mother's lullabuy ever put me into somnambulistic bliss like that sound track.
09/27/2005 at 2100 hrs presents you with another opportunity to do battle with the Gods of " somnabulistic bliss" :D

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree wimperdink. The two guys on mythbusters are fairly intelligent also. To many, science is not an exciting topic, especially on tv, and especially when there are so many mindless programs at their fingertips. These guys have taken something that many would otherwise find boring and they have created a nice little niche for themselves. Being a science teacher myself, I find they have much to offer in both intelligence and substance.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry for being off topic EF. I agree, it will be interesting.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

CJY wrote: "I find they have much to offer in both intelligence and substance."<br /><br /><br />I do not disagree.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And who else would blast a chicken through an airplance windshield...and not check to see if it was rated against bird strikes!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> equation or no equation Mythbusters always have to blow something up... and for that alone... I am a fan.
Yea me too, there is nothing wrong with blowing something up. :D <br />I have been known to blow a few things up myself from time to time. :eek:

SpinnerBait_Nut

"We wish to find the truth, no matter where it lies. But to find the truth we need imagination and skepticism both. We will not be afraid to speculate, but we will be careful to distinguish speculation from fact." Carl Sagan

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if ya dont think a big bird will pop a canopy ya need to read some Navy incedent reports, or if a feral pig can wipe out an F16 on takeoff or landing read some more. goose can be even worse. especially if the flock appears at the end of the roll out :) <br />but I do enjoy the mythbusters.<br /> the one about the drive shaft was mostly right, altough my buddies truck did go a tad higher when his driveshaft dropped. did not flip but it did waste a nice 69 ford step side.<br /> the flying plywood was about right, I actually watched a framer get blown off a roof next door while fitting plywood in a breeze. a gust came up and before he could let go he was airborne and heading down, lucky he just got a broken collarbone and some bruising. at least it made for some excitement what with the ambulance, 2 fire trucks and 4 cop cars showing up. I only gave him a 5, to much arm flapping and hollering on the way down.<br />bad thing was it was my cousins lead framer. he had a momentary lapse in judgement and paid for it.