The newest outboard from Mercury

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
7.6L, V-12 ,600 Hp, 2 Speed Transmission, Lower Gear Case 45 Degree Turning Angle and a measly $77K...

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, this has been out for some time now. Formula, Boston Whaler, Sea Ray and others all using them. Even Bennington has a pontoon with it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, a 600HP pontoon boat...Just what I always wanted.

$77K seems pretty high. I would expect you could get more HP for less $, with multiple engines. And as my neighbor says, the more engines the more fish you can catch......

The torque on that rotating gearcase must be massive. Kinda like the WWI airplane rotary engines. I wonder if that motor has a gyroscope effect on the boat, like rotary engines did on the WWI planes?

robert graham

Admiral
Motor has twin, counter rotating props…so that should take care of torque…Regarding price, I think most folks that buy motors at $77K don’t worry much about cost. I do see this motor as revolutionary and wish I had the means to consider having one….

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Looks like they engineered the Volvo pod drives to an outboard. I do like the service features without taking out of the water. But the price.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The people who own these things are in a different snack bracket.------No need to worry about a few coins for these motors.-------If one fails just add / replace it and move on.-----Perhaps adapted what they already had from their stern drive design----ZUES----drive comes to mind.

robert graham

Admiral
I’ll bet there’s folks in Miami and Key West with 3 or 4 of these on their transom right now!….Must be nice!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Four of these monsters will replace 5 or 6 of the 350 / 450 HP motors.------One of the features ( not cheap ) on these motors is the " fly by wire " of throttle / shifting / steering systems.----Clean installations.------Not cheap but so convenient for the folks in these snack brackets !!-------Fact------Buying boats is the quickest way for the rich to distribute their wealth to the poor !!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
these motors go on 2 million dollar center consoles.......

price isnt an issue.