The greatest question in the history of human kind.

i386

Captain
Re: The greatest question in the history of human kind.

I already know what women want. That is not the "greatest question".

Why would you withhold this information? It should be a sticky IMO.:D

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Because if we let the common people know the answer, then we would not be able to force our will upon you.

;)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

:p:p:p. My thoughts were that it would fly and it did :). My goodness this thread got way off subject.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I woulda been surprised if it didn't fly.
That said if it was my plane after seeing that tarp rip and blow around there is no way I would try that experiment with my toy!!:eek::eek:
And thats after the pilot DIDN'T think it would work!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was sitting at the Hotel bar and I insisted that we watch it. There was three of us. Even after the show had busted the myth, one guy was still arguing it. Why is this one so hard for people to grasp? :rolleyes:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

all i got up here in canada was re-runs

they crashed a donzie like cigarette boat into a pole at 25 mph to see if it would impale itself...it didnt.......

need to see more of the airplane one to see if i had the myth right....if i did it shouldnt have flown

oops

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And you all had your doubts that it would fly?
I knew it would.
I had inside information that I could not talk about. :)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

And thats after the pilot DIDN'T think it would work!

OK thats just scary.:eek::eek: A pilot that has no clue about wind speed vs land speed and how lift is created by the wings.:confused::confused:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im a pilot.....i must not have got the premise of the myth right.....

if an air plane is stationary......without airspeed over the wings....ittl just sit there.....no matter how fast the wheels are turning........

gotta watch the show.....durn re-runs

oops

QC

Supreme Mariner

ooops, the propeller still gets to work in this scenario, so when the plane starts to move 5 MPH forward the conveyor goes 5 MPH the other way, 10 MPH forward the conveyor accelerates to 10 MPH the other way, and on, and on. Will the plane take off?

Edit: OK i have officially had it!!! The mother flippin' propeller does not care or know what the wheels are doing. It still gets a bite in the air, and the plane still moves forward faster than whatever the stupid conveyor does!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm slightly better now.

Last edited:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

It was trick photography I tell ya. It can't develop wind speed over the wings if it can't get up to speed. I saw it with my own eyes and I don't beleive it. If it wasn't for Kari Byron I just wouldn't watch that show anymore.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, I've had it again. The title to your last thread is correct ^^^^^^ :eek: :p :D

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

The only thing you need to think about is that the engine power engages the air only.
The ground it sits on is irrelevant.
Another way to think of this is an airplane flying 80 mph over a runway flying into an 80mph wind.
The plane would take off and land without ever moving relative to the runway.

Ken, Yeah that Kari is very..............uh..............."scientific":D:D

pduquette

Ensign

SOOO QC ,letme see if I Understand..If a flote plane is in a fast moving current...............:D:D:D:D:eek::D

puddle jumper

Captain

im a pilot.....i must not have got the premise of the myth right.....

if an air plane is stationary......without airspeed over the wings....ittl just sit there.....no matter how fast the wheels are turning........

gotta watch the show.....durn re-runs

oops
oops think of what pulls the plane when its in the air. Its doing the same thing when its on the ground regardless of what happening to the
ground speed under the wheels.

QC

Supreme Mariner

SOOO QC ,letme see if I Understand..If a flote plane is in a fast moving current...........
With enough power, it would fly. The difference with this one is that, as we all know, it takes a lot more horsepower to overcome the friction of a pair of hulls floating in water than it does to overcome the friction of the wheels and tires working against a "solid" conveyor . . . ;) It would also take more horsepower to take off against the conveyor than no conveyor. You've got tire deflection and the friction of the wheel bearings that would have to spin faster than if they were not on a conveyor . . .

So maybe a better question is: Assuming that it will take off (it will), will it require more horspeower than if there was no conveyor? That answer is yes . . . not a lot more, but yes.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The engine (and prop) will pull the plane forward (on it's wheels) right up to the point that there is enough air movement over the wings to create lift.
If the wheels are going at the same speed as the conveyor belt, there is NO air movement over the wings (on a single prop airplane)
On a multi engine airplane, the propwash over the wing is not enough to lift the plane. It needs the lift from the rest of the wing.

On Myth busters, all they did was allow the wheels to go a LOT faster than the "Conveyer Belt"
They just forgot to look at their video's of when the planes actually lifted off.