The future ain't what it used to be

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
50 years ago, this is what they predicted computers would look like in 2004... :D <br /><br />
future.JPG
<br /><br />I wonder if you could run iboats.com on that thing ? :D

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer
Re: The future ain't what it used to be

What do you think the wheel is for?<br /><br />Dive! Dive! Emergency dive! Blow all tanks! Dive! Dive! AAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOGAH!!!!! AAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGAH!!!!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nope Professor, that controls the HARDDRIVE

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you think it has a POOF Button ? :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Looks like they could've used ATKINS approved food too. :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey KiWi, looks just like it don't it?<br />
cent-manu.jpg

LadyFish

Admiral

I wonder what they intended the steering wheel for.
17.gif

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

That was so you could direct your email LF.

eeboater

Commander

Nope Professor, that controls the HARDDRIVE
ROFLMAO!!! I can just picture some old gray-haired scientinst trying to look "scientific" while manually spinning the ships wheel which, in turn, is directly spinning the hard drive. <br /><br />SBN -- is this where you got that color pic?<br /><br /> http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_rand_home_computer.htm <br /><br />Regardless... It made me chuckle thats for sure.<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I wonder what they intended the steering wheel for.
17.gif
22.gif
<br /><br />Everybody knows that the wheel is used DUH for dodging flying objects while playing arcade games DUH

spratt

Lieutenant

That wheel, my friends, is actually the MOUSE!!! It controls teh cursor on the display.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> That wheel, my friends, is actually the MOUSE!!! It controls teh cursor on the display.
Is that power mouse er steering? :D

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"The future is now." (Todd Rundgren, from the cd "Liars")

aspeck

Staff member

LF, the question is, where is the brake pedal?

Triton II

Commander

My question is... what the f is it?

eeboater

Commander

My question is... what the f is it?
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_rand_home_computer.htm <br /><br />Though it has been significantly doctored, what you actually see in the image above is a full-scale mock-up of the maneuvering room of a nuclear submarine.<br /><br />The original photograph, taken at a Smithsonian Institution exhibit called "Fast Attacks and Boomers: Submarines of the Cold War," became the basis of a Fark.com Photoshop contest in September 2004, for which the above image, including caption, was created.<br /><br />The caption reads:<br /><br /> Scientists from the RAND corporation have created this model to illustrate how a "Home Computer" could look like in the year 2004. However, the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home. Also the scientists readily admit that the computer will require not yet invented technology to actually work, but 50 years from now scientific progress is expected to solve these problems. With teletype interface and the FORTRAN language, the computer will be easy to use. <br /><br />Which is just silly, if you think about it. Why would engineers waste their valuable time building a mock-up of a "home computer" that no one could afford? There is nothing "easy to use" about a teletype interface and the FORTRAN programming language.<br /><br />Given that even the smallest functioning computers in the 1950s were big enough to fill a master bedroom, no one at the time could have envisioned them becoming home appliances. Remington Rand's UNIVAC I, the very first commercial computer made in the United States, weighed 29,000 pounds and occupied over 350 square feet of floor space. Like other computer models of the time, it didn't have a video monitor, let alone a steering wheel.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Looks similar to my pentium 90