The famous "Power Launch" at the Boat Ramp

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: The famous "Power Launch" at the Boat Ramp

I'm lucky that I haven't had to deal with crowded docks, but in 35 years of boat ramp fun I've had some challenges (I started driving a trailer on my learner's) and a long list stupid human tricks.* With single axle trailers, boats under 19' and high salt content, we always do it without the axles getting wet, so drine on/drive off isn't an option. Lining up for the rollers is, especially by yourself, with a cross wind and a cross-current. Still, I could launch in <3 minutes but my power winch isn't so fast for the retrieve. Now I have a boat where I have to sink the trailer, and while I hate seeing the bubbles, it sure is easy.

Not comparing to you guys with the giant boats--it's a different game.

*Did you know that if your boat is floating away after a launch you can use your shove pole to pole vault from the pier out to it?

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

i back the trailer in to launch and she holds a bow and stern line and i park the truck, and then when we come back i back it in again, then in the boat and drive on trailer and she hooks the winch, winches it on and i stay in boat and she pulls it out, works very well and only takes a few min in and out, one of he fastest at the dock.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

My wife and I have our routine down for boat day and it starts before we even leave the driveway. I pull off the covers, do my engine checks, and hook up the trailer while she's loading the cooler, life vests, floor carpets, etc... I throw on the muffs and she fires it up. Warm it up for 15 minutes and we're off to the ramp. When we get there we both remove the tie-down straps and we both check to make sure I put the plug in. She gets in the boat and I pull the safety chain. I back the trailer in and she fires up the boat and I park. It takes us three minutes to launch from the time I start backing the boat down the ramp until we're under way.

About identical to my routine but i'm in the boat :p

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wife finally backs the trailer down the ramp, so I can load the boat. Nextel is nice when I am floating off the ramp and telling her how far back she needs to go.

TWFisher

Seaman

She came barreling down the ramp, I tell her to slow down, so she slams on the brakes! This sends the boat flying off the trailer, in the water (Thank God!),

She's better than me! Ive been trying to leard the power launch but havn't got it down yet. I usualy back to the water hit the breaks, and nothing happens! I havn't gone back far enough. So Im usualy embarased and get out and unload by hand.

On another note, my wife finally took intrest and is trying to learn how to launch and load. She can now back the trailer well and yesterday drove the boat from the dock to the trailer by her self. She didn't warn me that she was going to try this thtough. I had just backed the truck to the ramp, looked up and there she was driving the boat to toward me. My mouth dropped open and my heart sank. She never drives the boat and I had never explained to her how this is done! She was headed toward me at a pretty good clip!!! I told her to slow down and she did. Then I told her to put it in neutral and she said how do I do that!!! It worked out, she landed center of the trailer I strapped it down and we were gone.

She made me proud!!

Pretty cool!!!

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

sounds like all she needs is a little encouragement and confidence and practice

Let her take it out alone once :D

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, my wife can't back the boat in either. So, when we get to the ramp, I have her get out, go over to the dock. Do all the launchign myself, then idle to boat over to her at the dock and let her hold it as I quickly tie up, jump back in the truck, then go park.

Takes me about 3-5 minutes from hitting the ramp to being off of it. Keeps everyone waiting happy, she gets to feel like she helped out, and the outing is always fun.

X2 except I tie it up for her. I always launch and retrieve by myself. I have a SOP. Everything is ready when I get on the ramp. Depending on how far away I have to park, about the same 3-5 minutes as Kyle takes.

Hanr3

Seaman

I put my wife in teh boat and showed her how to use the transom trolling motor. Than I back the boat into the water, and let her idle over to the dock. Pretty hard to screw it up going 2 mph, and she feels a sense of accomplishment. Plus she got to drive the boat. :D

When we pull out at the end of the day. We dock, I get the truck and back it in. Have her climb out of the boat and wait for me in the truck, the passengers seat. Then I trailer the boat, eye hook it, and pull it out. Shes not in the way, and if the cable should come flying off she wont get hurt.

I love her, but she has no interest or skills to launch or trailer a boat.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the best way.. plus i bet she thinks the same thing in the kitchen when she lets you make something lol...:D

Jgweb2000

Cadet

Didnt read half the thread, but you should really wait to take the front winch hook off until you are in the water... prevents launching your boat to a possible bad ending.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Re "I love her, but she has no interest or skills to launch or trailer a boat."

Methinks she has the skill to train you to do all the climbing around while she rides in comfort and style!

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess I am lucky ...

This past weekend my girlfriend and I took the boat out for the first time. She has never launched a boat before so I pull into the lot and got everything ready then backed down the ramp until the trailer was almost in the water. Then I had her get in the drivers seat while I got in the boat so she could back me the rest of the way in the water. She did it perfect. Of course there were a few guys standing there just waiting for her to mess up.

She drove the truck and trailer around to our cottage while I brought the boat to our dock.

When we got ready to leave the cottage I was headed toward my truck so I could get the trailer turned around for her so she could head back to the launch. She stopped me and asked if she could try so I said 'sure'. she backed the trailer perfect and got it all turned around. I told her that I would meet her over at the launch, and that I would dock at the launch and jump in the truck and back it down for her then let her pull me and the boat out of the water. By the time I got over to the launch she was already there with the truck turned around ready to back in. She saw me coming toward the launch and backed the trailer right down into the water. I pulled the boat up on, and she jumped out to hook the winch to the front then pulled me and the boat right out. Of course she had a crowd watching her once again waiting for her to screw up but she did it perfect. I thought that was pretty cool, and it sure makes it easy on me. By the way she is only 5' tall and she was driving my F-250 superduty 4x4 with a lift and 35" tires and the trailer is around 27' long.

Sorry to break this to you, friend, but I am guessing you are not her first!

Here's praying she grew up in a family of boaters!

Marry this one...

Hanr3

Seaman

Re "I love her, but she has no interest or skills to launch or trailer a boat."

Methinks she has the skill to train you to do all the climbing around while she rides in comfort and style!

She didn't have to train me. I put her on that pedistal and treat her like my queen. All women want to be treated like a princess. In return I am her knight in shiney armor, her king. 20 something years of marriage later and still happy. ;)

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

not to hi jack the thread but... when launching the LoneStar myself - I have everything ready- tie a bow line to the trl and back down until the boat floats its self off-then slowly pull up till I can untie bow line from trl without getting my feet wet- and secure boat- then pull out and park- To load is just as easy---my wife wants to help.
She is not very good at backing trls. she cannot find parking brake release despite showing her a dozen times. i have everything ready- back down till the trl tires are wet and let her back me in...
Like I said she wants to help and she is blonde- sometimes.
Once after parking the trl , setting jack stand and de-coupling hitch ,while I unloading boat she re-hooked the safety tow chains back onto my truck... i did not notice and we took off for home- got about 2ft and the chains yank the trailer behind us:eek:- I jump out and see what she had done and asked her why she did it and she says
" Well- isn't that where they go?"
Trailering the 26ft Wellcraft requires experianced hands.it stays in the slip most of the time anyway.
There is nothing worse than a couple yelling and screaming at each other while having trouble launching or retriveing the boat. just seeing it ruins my day.:( remember the goal is to have FUN!
Joe

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd rather hand wash 2 dozen shelter cats at the same time then let my woman back my rig down the ramp.