the experts have spoken? really?

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
I was trying to satiate my late-term fishing withdrawal by trying to learn stuff on youtube- sometimes there is good stuff (The Next Bite, etc). Sometimes you have to click off quick-like before you make an irrational decision to never fish again for fear of being associated with the nitwit you just watched on youtube.

Well, I saw this interesting "related" video on filleting fish- so I watched it. Not bad; I think maybe I will attempt to slide my knife differently on my next walleye rather than make my usual two extra cuts. Should work on perch, too. So of course there were other "how to filet" videos in the sidebar menu, which I clicked on a few.

WOW! These "experts" are just hacking up fish and leaving 50% or better of the meat on the bones. Some boneless fillet- there's no meat left.

WOW! All this technology and learning we have, yet millions re-prove entropy with reality shows and then go on youtube filleting fish like a 20-year-old demolition worker in a Boston condo.

I vented.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: the experts have spoken? really?

Lots and lots of know nothing "expert" internet fisherman now a days.

We had a guy speak at our club last fall that had written a book and produced a 90 minute ?how to video? on local surf fishing.
After he made his presentation we had about 10-15 minute of Q&A. Several of his question where a bit off base but I gave him he benefit of the doubt and didn?t question his comments openly during the discussions. Then one of the members asked for his recommendations about the best times and places to fish locally. He tossed out a couple of locations and times which most knew where way off the mark.

After the meeting I approached him to question some of the comments he made during his presentation. At the time I was wearing one of my surf fishing tournament jackets and it obviously made him a bit uneasy. It didn?t take long for it to come out that he had very little actual surf fishing experience. He was a video producer who liked to dabble in surf fishing from time to time. We saw an opportunity to make a little money and produced a surf fishing video.

I offered to left him tag along with me one day but never heard from him again.