The best 225hp outboard?

HJ

Recruit
Considering buying a Triton fishing boat, 19X3 to be exact. Any thoughts on a 225hp motor? I have perused many but can't come to justice with all the "bull crap" these websites give in hopes of selling you their product. I like a honda, but please share your opinion's with me.

Thanks!!
HJ

coolguy147

Commander
Re: The best 225hp outboard?

evinrude etec r really nice motors they claim no service for 3 years.

but there a bit expensive

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The best motor will be the one your local dealer sells and has a respected service shop staffed with factory trained and certified techs. Just because there are certificates hanging on the wall does not mean the techs are really qualified to work on high-tech engines so check around. Talk to others that have actually used the services of the shop. As for E-tec, it is a great motor but the no service for three years is a little incorrect. No "scheduled" service is the key word. You still need to read the fine print.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

What silvertip said. there are really no "bad" modern outboards, most are DFI/EFI 4stroke or oil injected if two stroke and require low maintenace compared to most of our ancient carbed two strokes! however there are BAD dealers. if its a light bass boat, i'd go with a ETEC because they're lighter than comparable four strokes and more low end torque.

gss036

Commander

I went through that same thing last year about this time after blowing my old 200 Merc. I was shocked with the "OUT OF THE DOOR" of engines prices when installed. I kept looking and finally settled on a Honda 225. I was able to find what they called "NON-CURRENT" (which idon't think exist now) model and saved a whole bunch of money. Reguardless, they all still offer the full factory (OEM) warranties.
Having blown 2 Mercs over the years, I even explored the Optimax, but still was able to match the same price as 2 dealers offered on the Opti.
So far, I could not be more pleased with the engine. Like everybody says above, get to know your techs. I did have a couple of issues, but I am able to do most minor stuff myself and knew enough to call to the attention of facility manager how a couple of items should have been done and he had his guys fix the problems w/o any hassle. At first I was not satisfied with the performance of the prop and porposing that started after the installation, I talked w/them and several others and they raised the engine for me and swapped out the prop for a Power Tech 4 blade prop ( I split the difference in the price w/them), this solved my problems and we were all happy. That is what you are looking for in the long term deal.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm looking to repower in the fall and had pretty much settled on an E-tec. Then I started looking at the pricing and the price of 2 stroke oil went through the roof.

At this point I?m primarily focused on a 4 stroke Yammi or the Honda. Sort of leaning toward the Yammi at this point since my builder went with Yamaha exclusively sometime ago but a Honda would be a welcome addtion as well if I could find one for a good price.

gss036

Commander

dingbat, the final price for my Honda was $7,000 less than the Yamaha. I was set to go w/Yamaha until I was quoted an installed out the door price. I just about fell over. Yet, I just picked up a Yamaha T9.9 for $800 less than a comparable Honda 9.9. It definately pays to shop around.

sammy29926

Seaman Apprentice

hi,
My first outboard motor was Honda 35 hp ( 4 stroke) about 15 years ago.. I was 15 at that time, I sung the motor and after taking to the shop oll they did was replace the oil, turn the engine couple of times and spray some stuff on it and inside the carbs it started right up without problems... ran great no issues at all.. and we sold that motor 3 years later because we got Honda 90hp ( 4 stroke) which ran and still running great. I even took one of the big Honda guy from japan for a spin on my boat... Eventhough right now i owna johnson 2 stroke , if i would repower my boat up i would go with honda no questions asked. I have been very happy with their products at least motorcycles and marine motors... I hope this helps.
Sammy

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

If the JD Powers surveys mean anything, then Honda has won for the past several years. I have owned Yamahas since 1986 and cannot imagine having any other motor. They just don't break. But, that's just for me. I guess you need a good dealer if the model you have is under recall and having upgrades....