The 2 things I learned today

autotec

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
58
I'll just start out by saying I'm new to boating. By me telling this may save another new boater from a afternoon of head scratching and cussing while others look on.

Today was the first splash of the pontoon I've been repairing, it all started great. Unloaded and it actually floated, I was thrilled. Started motor and it ran great. While my uncle parked my truck, I waited and kept the boat in position by going foward and backwards. Things were going great till I gave it a more throttle in reverse and the motor tilted up and out of the water. No biggie, just a simple newbie mistake not locking the motor down. Mistake 1 fixed.

Mistake number 2 still has me burning. During the time I was going foward and backwards waiting for my uncle, it just died. It restarted but started surging and would die as soon as I put it into gear. In the automotive world, surging means it's running lean. Thinking it sucked something up in the main jet, i pulled the float bowl. I found a few small pieces of dirt or whatever, but nothing that would concern me. Put it back together, it ran great for a minute or two. After 3 hrs of messing while it was in the water, I finally pulled it back onto the trailer. Trailered it back to our cottage 1/4 mile away and started dissconnecting the battery and fuel tank. That's when I saw it. The small vent I had to open on the tank cap. I never knew there was a vent on the cap, now I do.

I learned a few things today, just hope this helps a few people.

Justin
 

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
494
Re: The 2 things I learned today

That vent does a lot of people in. Hopefully it'll never get you again.

Tom B.
(LongLine)
 

Grub54891

Admiral
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
6,490
Re: The 2 things I learned today

Be shure to close the vent when done for the day,rain can get in. My neighbor@ the cabin keeps forgetting,has me fix it twice a year.
 

autotec

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
58
Re: The 2 things I learned today

Be shure to close the vent when done for the day,rain can get in. My neighbor@ the cabin keeps forgetting,has me fix it twice a year.

Will do, but I don't think the vent was the cause of the running issue. I went back to the cottage early today and tried again. What I finally found was a tear in the puel pump diaphragm. I'll never forget the vent again though.
 

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
745
Re: The 2 things I learned today

There are quite a few things to get a grip on with boating and it sounds like you're very observant. One thing I will mention is: learn your body of water, maybe even get a chart. Learn the no-wake areas and the shallow water. That is one thing I see so many fail to do. Seems a lot of people think you can go anywhere there is water and at any speed.
 

Grub54891

Admiral
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
6,490
Re: The 2 things I learned today

There are quite a few things to get a grip on with boating and it sounds like you're very observant. One thing I will mention is: learn your body of water, maybe even get a chart. Learn the no-wake areas and the shallow water. That is one thing I see so many fail to do. Seems a lot of people think you can go anywhere there is water and at any speed.

Was on a lake with a posted no wake zone,everybody would shoot past me,even pulling skiers! Turns out the property owners made up an official looking no-wake sign just to try to stop people from whizzing by and rocking their boat! Yeah the lake narrowed a bit in that area but it wasn't that narrow.
Grub
 

WIMUSKY

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
20,549
Re: The 2 things I learned today

Was on a lake with a posted no wake zone,everybody would shoot past me,even pulling skiers! Turns out the property owners made up an official looking no-wake sign just to try to stop people from whizzing by and rocking their boat! Yeah the lake narrowed a bit in that area but it wasn't that narrow.
Grub

That sounds to be a little illegal. Funny they haven't been busted.....
 
Top