That Sinking feeling and lessons learned.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: That Sinking feeling and lessons learned.

Having had a similar experience, and having had to cut my rode while praying we wouldn't go on the rocks, I feel I can add one more very important suggestion - BE AWARE.

When first reading you post I was wondering how you could not have known what was occurring. Then I remembered my own near tragedy and realized how easy we can be focused on the wrong things.

I now remain totally aware of everything happening on my boat (I hope), and feel I will be able to anticipate a re-occurrence of my enlightenment.

We seldom get a 2nd chance, and I think you and I have had ours.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

good point, Bob. I was fishing alone Sunday; trying to motor off a snagged line (and pulling in 2 others one with a fish on) and didn't see a decent sized sailboat; he saw me (he was also alone) and tacked to avoid a collision. I was in the wrong. It wasn't a close call but it was a reminder to pay attention, and I felt bad about cutting him off. But if he had also not been paying attention, it could have been worse.

There are so many distractions out there, and most of us are boating in the first place to relax and get our minds off things. You getg much more tired in a boat than you realize, just from the wave action, but add in an early start, heat/cold and even just a legal amount of beer, and you are not on top of your game. Neither is the other driver. I think the good conditions are much more dangerous in this respect, than when you are running night, adverse conditions, etc. and paying close attention.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

...and even just a legal amount of beer, and you are not on top of your game.

One of the reasons you won't EVER see me with a beer or other adult beverage on the boat. One of the other reasons? I just have never liked the taste.

Mark SF

Seaman

i have all safety gear required by coast guard. and more.
however, when you have 30 seconds until sinkage there is no time to radio in, shoot a flare, etc. if i had gone that route we'd have been pedestrians.

I hate to belabour the point but that is why life jackets that aren't worn are useless. A bit like riding a motorcycle while carrying your crash helmet in a bag, saying "I'll put it on if there's a problem".

I keep a PLB in the lifejacket that I'm wearing, my cellphone in a plastic bag, and a sharp knife, just in case.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont have time to read all the threads but wondered if you considered cutting the anchor rope it is the fastest and safest way. I would also have to question your friend about not getting on your case more about the amount water in the boat :(. He just accepted that water was supposed to be filling the boat like that?!?!?

To anyone reading this lets say your friend falls off while your anchored and the current is ripping and taking him away. CUT the anchor rope and motor after him also have your throwable as the first thing you can see when you open the storage compartment at all times.

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should have read Ccook's post he did the same thing and lost his boat.
Ccook posted his story just a couple of days ago.

I can only imagine how many times this can happen when people do use a resourse such as this or other forums.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yessir. Wasn't too long ago a couple of football players drowned because they were anchored at the stern. Think one or two others were saved.

Not exactly.

They were anchored and the anchor was tied to the bow. When they went to leave they could not get the anchor up. It was stuck on the bottom. The owner of the boat had been fishing in the same location the week before. He had the same problem and he cut the anchor line a week earlier. He did not want to cut the line again and lose a brand new anchor.

They tied the anchor line to the stern and started the motor. They gunned the motor in an attempt to "pull" the anchor free. They hit the end of the anchor line and the bow jumped up and straight into the air. The boat was flipped over in a matter of seconds.

This was told by the instructor at the safe boating class I took in February and he claimed to have met the survivor who told him what happened.