That Sinking feeling and lessons learned.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i've been boating for 6 years.

yesterday while fishing i started catching fish, one after another while drifting. i took a minute to drop anchor but, in a hurry, i just tied off at the stern cleat.

swells were splashing a bit into the splashwell, but that's no big deal, i thought.

my buddy says "we're really getting a lot of water in here, but i didn't even look because i was busy rebaiting.

that's when i felt water soaking into my shoes.

i turned and saw the transom was nearly underwater.
the anchor line was pulling the stern down into the oncoming swell and every one was now breaking over the transom.

i hit the bilge pump switch.

nothing.
almost under now.

nothing to use to bail manually.

tried to start the outboard motor.
no start, battery and bottom of motor now submerged.

finally it started.

no time to pull up anchor, i turned and drove towards it at an angle so as not to get rope tangled in the prop.
luckily it broke loose from bottom.

but the boat is moving too slow. too much water weight
gave my buddy the helm and snapped on the anchor retrieval bouy and gave the motor full throttle while i dove into the water in the back now thigh high and pulled the plugs from the well and deck rear.
after a lifetime ( about 3 or 4 minutes ) i could see that the water was half gone from the deck and all gone from the splashwell.

still towing anchor, we turned round back towards bouy w/anchor hanging from it. turned too sharp and nearly capsized as the starboard side dipped way too low, but managed to straighten out in time.

grabbed the anchor and buoy and pulled in the rope and headed for home.

after 5 more minutes enough water was sucked out thru the drain holes that i replaced them and we were able to throttle down both the motor and our hearts.
the only loss was my cell phone that got fried in the salt water. it was in my pocket and on at the time.

LESSONS LEARNED
1.anchor from the bow only.
2.install pump in splashwell as well as rear deck.
3. test both pumps before leaving the house.
5.put cell phone in ziplock, secure and in reach up high.( dashboard )
6.secure life vests w/velcro on deck within easy reach. ( not in cabin)
7. attach cords to drain plugs for easy pull out.
8.secure tackle box,rods,, rags, ice chest, and all other items on deck.
9.add manual bail bucket.
10. create a secure place for everything and keep it there.

it is unbelievable how much stuff gets misplaced and unsecured while fishing. in an emergency it all rolls or floats all over the place. ice chest, tackle box, tool kit, rags, rods, hats, drinks, bait.

all under your feet in an emergency.

even an ice cube or piece of bait or sinker could easily plug up a drain.

a fish rag could stop a bilge pump.

etc., etc.

i got off real easy.

i could be now paying 6 to8 thousand dollars for mandatory salvage, or our wives could be getting us cremated today or a hundred other awful things could be the case right now because i was not prepared for the very basic realities of boating.

of course we can't be ready for everything, but i AM NOW at least preparing for the forseeable., holding up my end.

i hope this does some good for somebody else as well.

WizeOne

Commander
Re: That Sinking feeling and lessons learned.

A tale of real horror, for sure. Glad you squeeked by.

a70eliminator

Captain

I not only anchor from the bow but I tie directly to the bow eye and not the cleat. On a nice summer day back in the swim cove I'll tie off on the cleat just for ease of retreival but on Erie I tie a second rope to snatch up the anchor from off the bow eye. I got a cold chill reading about your expereince.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yessir. Wasn't too long ago a couple of football players drowned because they were anchored at the stern. Think one or two others were saved.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

You learn from that which you live through.

Not that it was life threatening in your case, but I have learned the hard way on many occasions.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might I also suggest an idea I heard from someone else on this board?
Get a pair of extra plugs, cord them together and store the up high, but within eyesight.

Anytime you pull the plug there is the chance (in the panic) you could drop it, lose it, overshot where you are throwing them (seat or where ever) and watch them go sailing into the water.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Might I also suggest an idea I heard from someone else on this board?
Get a pair of extra plugs, cord them together and store the up high, but within eyesight.

Anytime you pull the plug there is the chance (in the panic) you could drop it, lose it, overshot where you are throwing them (seat or where ever) and watch them go sailing into the water.

Real good point. I think i'll find a way to attach the other end of those cords to something close by.

thanks for the thought.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

add one item to the top of your list. EVERY fisherman (or anyone on anchor) should have a multi tool on their belt. In cases like this, you cut the anchor free. You got EXTREMELY lucky to have not sunk it. Had you simply cut the anchor line you would have dramatically increased your odds. yes, it would have cost you the anchor and rode, but it could have saved your boat and your life.

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know losing an anchor/rope costs money, but I feel like in a situation where the anchor HAS to come up right away or I could drown, I would just pull out my knife and cut the rope. Like, I don't think I would take the time to pull it up, not if I had a list of other things to think about to get water out of the boat. Unless the person I was with was compotent enough to handle some emergency tasks....

What brought that to mind was reading the report of the football players...if the anchor truly won't come up, and you will sink if it doesn't...
Cut it.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

add one item to the top of your list. EVERY fisherman (or anyone on anchor) should have a multi tool on their belt. In cases like this, you cut the anchor free. You got EXTREMELY lucky to have not sunk it. Had you simply cut the anchor line you would have dramatically increased your odds. yes, it would have cost you the anchor and rode, but it could have saved your boat and your life.

I know losing an anchor/rope costs money, but I feel like in a situation where the anchor HAS to come up right away or I could drown, I would just pull out my knife and cut the rope. Like, I don't think I would take the time to pull it up, not if I had a list of other things to think about to get water out of the boat. Unless the person I was with was compotent enough to handle some emergency tasks....

very good point, fellas.

in retrospect, i wouldn't have hesitated to cut the rope. i had a fillet knife and multitool within easy reach the whole time.

should i ever be in a similar situation it would be my first action.

at the moment i saw all that water i didn't realize the cause or even look for it.

i just knew i needed to get that motor started NOW and accelerate forward as quickly as possible before the motor submerged.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I not only anchor from the bow but I tie directly to the bow eye and not the cleat. On a nice summer day back in the swim cove I'll tie off on the cleat just for ease of retreival but on Erie I tie a second rope to snatch up the anchor from off the bow eye. I got a cold chill reading about your expereince.

i understand what you mean about that second rope, at least in principle.
i don't suppose you'd have a pic of that setup?
you see, that's the difficulty, dropping the anchor from the bow means walking on the slippery gunnel round the cabin while the boat's rockin hard.

i'd sure like to see that setup, or one like it.

Mark SF

Seaman

"6.secure life vests w/velcro on deck within easy reach. ( not in cabin)"

No. Wear them.

Mark SF

Seaman

This is very similar to what happened to the football players in the Gulf a couple years ago. Be careful out there guys.

Things that would have saved the lives that were lost :

A cellphone in a ziplock bag
Rocket flares
Handheld radio
Leaving a float plan
PLB
EPIRB in the boat

In addition to not connecting the anchor to the stern rail.

The anchor mistake is forgiveable, I mean we all make mistakes now and then. The safety equipment lapse isn't forgiveable, that took a level of deliberate ignorance and recklessness.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

among the very good lessons learned here, let me echo the importance of having a bailing device in every boat. It's not hard to find a place to stow a bucket.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad you got the water outta the rig...in an emergency a cooler can be used to bail water also.

Threads like this one are always a good reminder to all of us to be prepared.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

among the very good lessons learned here, let me echo the importance of having a bailing device in every boat. It's not hard to find a place to stow a bucket.

And in the bucket is a water tight bag or container with a flare gun, cell phone, hand held radio, and mirror.

Glad you, your buddy, and the boat all made it back without harm.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow. Just...wow. I felt horrible reading that. Glad you sorted it out!

puddle jumper

Captain

Glad no one was hurt. Nothing like a good scare to put things into prospective.

Is there not a mandatory safety list put out by the coastguard in your area. I know in BC there is a list that your must have all of the required items on your boat according to the length of your boat. If not, check out the BC safe boating sight and you will get a good idea of what you should have.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad no one was hurt. Nothing like a good scare to put things into prospective.

Is there not a mandatory safety list put out by the coastguard in your area. I know in BC there is a list that your must have all of the required items on your boat according to the length of your boat. If not, check out the BC safe boating sight and you will get a good idea of what you should have.

i have all safety gear required by coast guard. and more.
however, when you have 30 seconds until sinkage there is no time to radio in, shoot a flare, etc. if i had gone that route we'd have been pedestrians.