Seaman Apprentice
Re: Texas Chieftain 18' Refit

The transom is horizontal channel
image.jpg
image.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's what I thought except I twas thinking it was vertical. I beginning to think you should replace that with a normal plywood transom. Even if you weld it properly, channel is not a good choice for a transom. It would have to welded inside and out, not just on the inside of the boat so doesn't flex. Just my thoughts.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

I agree, but that will be a winter project. I'm hoping to use it during this season.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree, but that will be a winter project. I'm hoping to use it during this season.

Heck yeah. Use it and you'll see what other changes you might like to make. Are you close to putting her in the water?

On the bow, that could be a weld job. Looks like a rock hit or a bad bow stop caused the damage.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

I'm heading offshore in a couple of days, so it'll be a while before I get to splash her. Besides I'm still waiting on a harness for the Merc.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone have the measurements for the fram on the 18' chieftain bimini top. I would like to get another one or a full enclosure would be even better. Suggestions?

dozerII

Admiral

Full enclosure will be a custom job at the local upholstery/canvas shop. Bimini is easy, measure from the center of one gunwale to the other for the width, if the measurement falls at the upper limit of one of the choices got to the next one bigger. Height measure from the deck to the top of the gunwale ad this to the choice Iboats gives you to get your head room. Example if your deck height is 23" plus the top is 36" that will only give you 59"of head room so you will be ducking under the top at all times. Length will be front to back, my suggestion is go with the longest you can and ad a set of gunwale mounted slide tracks to make adjusting possible and fold down storage easier.

64osby

Admiral

I have side mounted slides that are 3' long.

MarinerBimini.jpg

Storage is great.

Texas-20120930-00436.jpg

Great coverage when up.

LongLake-July20121.jpg

This is a factory original.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I really like the way that works out. Looks like I'll be getting some measurements for that. I notice that your running a kicker. Can you show a little more detail on that? Thanks.
Carl
I have side mounted slides that are 3' long.

MarinerBimini.jpg

Storage is great.

Texas-20120930-00436.jpg

Great coverage when up.

LongLake-July20121.jpg

This is a factory original.

64osby

Admiral

Nothing really special. A Johnson 7.5 2 stroke. Transom mounted and held up with the high tech wooden wedge on a zip tie.
StarcraftLadder2.jpg

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Looking to fix the Bow I looked at the inside and it looks like something was poured in to seal it. View attachment 197541. To fix this do I remove the existing what ever it is and replace, or pour more over what is there. What about the exterior, do I try to plate it or jb weld.
Hi Traxx, I'm a little late to the party. The heavy dark material is likely factory original, but it looks like there's also been a topcoat of some kind of sealer retrofitted over that. Gluvit is a typical sealer that would normally be applied over existing, as long as the existing is very solid and is not oil contaminated. I'd be inclined to try to open the exterior wound, clean it and apply a filler of some type such as JB Weld, but I'd be very cautious about applying heat such as from a welder. The heat will play havoc with the existing sealer(s). When the outside is done, clean the inside with solvents and abrasion as best you can and then apply Gluvit. - Grandad

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, We will see what happens.