Texas Chieftain 18' Refit

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, I picked up a 1976 Chieftain 18' OB. What backstory I have is that it was used as a riverboat south of Baton Rouge La. I believe for fishing and as a dive boat. After that the vessel moved up to Lake Texoma on the TX OK boarder being used to hit the beaches and sandbars plus some fishing.
Here are some pix from the add.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
At 50ft she looks like a million but up close not so much.
So far my list includes a rewire, new gauges, new seats/carpet.
Hopefully I can splash her this summer and see just what is needed for my winter project list.
What has been done so far.
Removed port side seat and box, the aft seat/storage, all gauges switches and BS wireing. So the wait starts for the electrical components.
One thing that does concern me is the bow, it looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it right at the waterline. I'm going to pull the wood over the area to try and get a look at it from the inside. I hope that its just cosmetic.

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Texas Chieftain 18' Refit

Boat looks real nice Trax, have you looked at the transom, to check it's integrity? Suggestion, load your photos on to Photobucket then copy the IMG code to your Iboats post, much easier to see your great photos.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Got the paperwork done with TPWD and DPS today, so at least I'm legal.
Thanks Dozerll, I've eyeballed it and there are some suspect areas.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Under the aft storage ( home made box) it was bare metal. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pull the deck up or pop a hole to take a look.
image.jpg
It really opened up some deck space it looks like ill need to build some doors.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Still going through the wiring, looks like I'm going to need a wiring harness for the Merc. The positive lead insulation is crumbling, so the external needs to be replaced and of course I had to pull the covers and...... Yep inside needs a harness as well.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

image.jpg
Some stuff for install over the next few days.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Merc harnesses all die. The insulation cracks and falls off and the copper corrodes. You can get CDI replacements for both internal and external.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

are the CDI harness any better than stock?

GA_Boater

are the CDI harness any better than stock?

Merc harnesses haven't been made for years. I don't see how CDI's can crumble any worse than Merc's. I'm guessing your Merc is a '76, so after 37 years (47 on my motor) the heat and oil take a toll. The CDI are using more modern materials, just as Mercury would if they still made them.

So to answer the Q, yeah, probably about the same except you can still get the CDI. If you buy a used Merc harness, I think you will have the same problems eventually. My couple of pennies, Traxx.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

So now the boat side harness is on order, next week Ill get the motor side harness and 25 gal fuel cell & acc on order.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Fuel cell and hoses are here but the straps won't work. Looks like my weekend is going to be busy.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Well, got the old fuel tank out image.jpg and test fit the new one. image.jpgDuring this I found about 2" of mud and debris at the transom. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgCleaned out the big stuff and shop vaced the rest out.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Since I've gone this far, we got the water hose to do a leak check. image.jpg I filled it up to the deck and watched for 3hours. I have 2 leaks, one on the transom at the speed tube image.jpg I would call it a slow drip. The other is on the bow image.jpg also a slow drip. Looking to fix the Bow I looked at the inside and it looks like something was poured in to seal it. image.jpg image.jpg. To fix this do I remove the existing what ever it is and replace, or pour more over what is there. What about the exterior, do I try to plate it or jb weld.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Also found a good bit of silicon on the transom. image.jpg
image.jpg

GA_Boater

Traxx - It looks like the speedometer pitot was installed with no sealer. Are those stainless screws? If they are, take them out and seal each one with 3M 5200. Get some stainless screws if they aren't

Leak two at the bow. That goop is put in at the factory, at least we've had others with the same stuff. I don't have it in mine. Is pic 3 in the second batch the exterior? I'll defer to others with experience in that area. I don't want to lead you astray. Not on purpose anyway. :)

GA_Boater

Also found a good bit of silicon on the transom. View attachment 197545
View attachment 197546

Where are the rust stains coming from? You shouldn't have that in an aluminum boat.

I went back and looked at some of your under splashwell pics. Some PO used non-stainless hardware to mount the motor. Not good! :facepalm: That stuff has to be tossed and replaced with stainless.

Like I said, I'll let some else give advise to the bow stuff.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

On the speedo I don't think they are stainless, so ill get that taken care of shortly.

Traxx

Seaman Apprentice

Got the wire wheel out this morning and cleaned off the leak on the bow. It is about 5" long, ill get some pictures of the other side after its cleaned up.
image.jpg
image.jpg

GA_Boater

Traxx - I've looked back at the first pics you posted. I have a couple of questions about the AL transom. Are the pieces that are vertical and sorta welded solid, channel or rectangular tubing?

On the bow pics, pull back a bit to show more. Zooming in masks the whole picture and other detail that's needed.