testing spark on a 1977 55hp evinrude

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yesterday I got stranded on the lake at dusk, we were headed back to the ramp and out of nowhere I lost power, pulled the throttle back to neutral and she died.

While drifting towards a nearby dock I had removed the cowl and air silencer. I could get it to idle roughly and noticed gas mist coming out of the bottom carb throat, so I figured I had lost spark on my bottom cylinder.

Today I picked up a spark tester and attempted to test by myself, the directions are vague on the packaging, but thanks to this forum I knew to set it to 7/16 gap. I plugged the SP wire onto the tester and then clipped the alligator clip on the SP. I could only get it to jump ~ 1/4 inch gap on both. The tester was resting on the lower cowling and I think I saw a spark jumping to the cowling as well, which would obviously effect its ability to jump the gap.

Do you guys hold the tester away from the motor w/insulated pliers and have someone else turn the key?? Should the alligator clip be on the plug?? I tried it clipped to the block and didn't get spark, but it was resting on the cowl and set to 7/16. If spark checks out, what's next? I was told by a buddy that I could have a problem with the reeds. Can the reeds be visually checked by removing the carbs? I saw them when I took the carbs off, but am unsure as to what to look for! broken/missing fingers??

Thanks guys, manual is on the way but I'm trying to go fishing this weekend!!!

mark1961

Ensign
Re: testing spark on a 1977 55hp evinrude

It would be better if you had a helper crank the motor while you tend to the motor. If its an inline tester you should be able to connect to the plug or the block depending on what type of connector it has but you also need to make sure the spark does not short circuit anywhere, try loosely zip tying the cables up away from the cowl and other potential shorts while you are testing for spark.