Testing coil with a 9v, How?

aaron67renken

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
17
I am still working on my 1967 Chrysler 55hp. I had to replace the ignition switch (lost key) and I miswired, which caused the top cylinder contact to melt (plastic spacer). So I replaced the contact and the condensor. Still no spark on that cylinder. I need to know how to wire up a 9v battery to test the coil. I check the coil with my ohm meter and I get .6 ohms on both but I'd like to check the points. <br />Thanks,<br />Aaron
 

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
306
Re: Testing coil with a 9v, How?

Are you testing the points or the coil?<br />If I remember correctly, coils don't like DC current so I would not try testing with 9V battery. Did you ohm the coil to ground? Do the points have a good ground? guessing you have a dual point setup, have you tried swapping them around?
 

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
749
Re: Testing coil with a 9v, How?

The other check is the secondary resistance. That should be 5900 ohms. The primary resistance is .6 ohms as you stated.
 

aaron67renken

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
17
Re: Testing coil with a 9v, How?

Well what I finally did to see if the coil is bad is to check from the magnet to the red wires. On the good coil my digitial voltmeter bounced around so I was getting a circut. On the bad coil I wasn't getting any reading. Is this my answer? I tracked down a good used coil for $75 I suppose I'll be getting it but I want to make sure my coil is bad before I buy it.
 

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
749
Re: Testing coil with a 9v, How?

Check ebay. They almost always have a complete stator for sale. I got one for $20 with magneto coils that work.
 

mjgundry

Recruit
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
5
Re: Testing coil with a 9v, How?

Re: Checking a mag coil with a 9 volt<br /><br />Here's a small engine trick I learned long ago for checking a mag coil while still on the engine. Use at your own risk. I'm not responsible for misuse of this technique resulting in damage/injury/yada yada yada. I assume that you have the magneto ignition with two independent circuits and coils.<br /><br />1) Open the points corresponding to the coil you wish to test, and hold them open with a thin insulator, or rotate the crank until the point cam holds the points open. Turn the ignition on or disconnect the p-leads (those black wires that connect the points to the blue and white wires at the terminal block).<br /><br />2) Connect the plug wire to a known-good sparkplug and ground the base of the plug so you can observe the spark (or setup however you regularly check for spark).<br /><br />3) Connect one terminal of a ***9-volt*** battery to ground. I use a 9-volt battery connector salvaged from some old electronics with a small alligator clip soldered on.<br /><br />4) Briefly touch (a fraction of a second is plenty) the other terminal of the battery to the moving point contact or the screw terminal where.<br /><br />5) A nice blue spark should jump the spark gap when you release the momentary connection made in step 4. You will also very likely get a smaller spark at the battery lead.<br /><br />In normal operation, passage of the magnet in the flywheel past the stator induces a current in the primary windings. What you are doing is supplying that current from a battery instead. When you "break" that battery contact, you perform the same fuction as the breaker points opening.<br /><br />Some additional warnings:<br /><br />Do NOT use the 12-volt starting battery to perform this test. Doing so may very well overheat and destroy the coil. A small alkaline battery is current-limited, but a large lead-acid battery can easily sink enough current to melt the coil. In fact, it sounds like that high current may well have destroyed the coil in the first place.<br /><br />This test will not work if the points are closed. Be sure they are open and that you don't have any other loose or worn wires that can cause a short. Make sure the ignition switch is turned on and working correctly. Otherwise pull either the white or blue wire from the terminal block to ensure the points aren't grounded.<br /><br />This test will not work if the condenser is shorted. Be sure you have a good one, or remove it from the circuit.<br /><br />This is not a valid test for spark strength. It works fine for me with a sparkplug. It might not work with a spark tester, nor should it used be a basis for determining coil strength.<br /><br />Re: Coil sources<br /><br />I just received a good coil from Lou's Outboard Service in Duncansville, PA (814-695-6562) for less than $75 shipped. Assuming your magneto is like the one on my '65 45 HP model (see pic below), and not the circular type with 8 coils spaced around it, he should have a few left. If not, I am getting a pile of parts salvaged from a running powerhead in a week, and would be willing to sell one of the coils.<br /><br />
IM000086.JPG
<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Matt
 

aaron67renken

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
17
Re: Testing coil with a 9v, How?

Thanks for the reply Matt! The picture looks just like my ignition plate. I'll call Lou's, that is what I need. If you have one your willing to sell, email me at aaron_w_48326@yahoo.com and please let me know.<br />Thanks,<br />Aaron
 
Top