testing a coil from a late 60's merc, How can I tell if it is any good?

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: testing a coil from a late 60's merc, How can I tell if it is any good?

Thanks, will get ahold of Oldmercs folks and track it down. Mabey you could help with my next though - The Boston Whaler's cover around the front rail allows rain water into the boat. The boat is unsinkable and many years ago when it was docked on Lake George, there were days we came to find the boat full of water. We (I)would get into the boat, start her up, pull the plug and go for a quick jaunt to drain her out. Thank goodness the battery box cover created an air lock or she would have shorted out long ago. What I'm thinking, since she will be docked again, is to get a very small, float controled bilge pump and a solar battery maintainer. This way, when Pop get's the itch, she will always be ready. Any ideas?

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a great idea to me--I think Northern Hydraulics sells some small solar panels that might work for this, might help keep your battery topped off also.<br /><br />Since I mounted a 20 hp motor on my boat, I've been getting some splash up over the transom and have been wondering about a good way to drain it--I noticed the drain hole has a little cover on the underside and is open on the back, and I wondered it this was made to suck the water out--so that works for you? Seems like you'd have to get that plug back in pretty quick when you shut the motor off!

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If humanly possible, the plug goes in with the hand of a pasenger. In my experience, even at a very slow forward speed, the water will drain, so if I am going hells bells across the water I havent really noticed the water leaving any faster, when I slow down to less than 5mp, the boat going straight and nobody nearby, I just get up and put the plug in. Works better with pop driving

b.moon

Recruit

I have replaced all electrical, coil cap,coil wire, and have no spark to plugs ????

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what is the motor? serial # and what is the motors history (did it run before) - My problem ended up being in the switch box and that was my own doing (read above)

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, it could be trigger related or possibly timing is off